Friction in vertical directions

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum applied force required to keep a smaller block (m1) from sliding down a larger block (m2) on a frictionless table. The blocks have a coefficient of static friction of 0.4 between them and the mass of m1 is 16 kg and m2 is 80 kg. The solution involves finding the minimum normal force required (392.4 N) and ensuring that the applied force is sufficient to give both blocks the required acceleration.
moonbase

Homework Statement

Two blocks (m1 and m2) are being pushed to the right along a frictionless table with such a force that the left block (m1), which is smaller, is above the table and not falling. It is pushed up against m2 (which is on the table), and they have a coefficient of static friction of 0.4 between them. The mass of m1 is 16 kg and m2 is 80 kg. What is the minimum applied force from the left required to keep m1 from sliding down m2?

Homework Equations

fs≤usFnormal
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a force body diagram and found that since there is no vertical movement for m1, the net force is zero so the downward weight force must cancel with the upward frictional force of m2 on m1. Since the weight = 156.96 N, the frictional force must also. This is set equal to 0.4Fnormal to find that the minimum normal force required is equal to 392.4 N. Since this force acts opposite to the applied force, the applied force must be greater than or equal to this number. However, the system is not accepting my answer of 392.4 N. Can anyone point out to me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
moonbase said:

Homework Statement

Two blocks (m1 and m2) are being pushed to the right along a frictionless table with such a force that the left block (m1), which is smaller, is above the table and not falling. It is pushed up against m2 (which is on the table), and they have a coefficient of static friction of 0.4 between them. The mass of m1 is 16 kg and m2 is 80 kg. What is the minimum applied force from the left required to keep m1 from sliding down m2?

Homework Equations

fs≤usFnormal
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a force body diagram and found that since there is no vertical movement for m1, the net force is zero so the downward weight force must cancel with the upward frictional force of m2 on m1. Since the weight = 156.96 N, the frictional force must also. This is set equal to 0.4Fnormal to find that the minimum normal force required is equal to 392.4 N. Since this force acts opposite to the applied force, the applied force must be greater than or equal to this number. However, the system is not accepting my answer of 392.4 N. Can anyone point out to me what I did wrong?
Let's see if I understand this. An applied force pushes to the right on m1 which in turn pushes m2 to the right.

If the normal force the blocks exert on each other is 392.4 N, then you can find the acceleration of m2. But m1 also has that acceleration.

The applied force must be sufficient to give m1 + m2 that acceleration.

Last edited:
Ahh I see, I ignored m2's opposing force. Thanks!

Related to Friction in vertical directions

1. What is friction in vertical directions?

Friction in vertical directions is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is moving up or down along a surface.

2. What factors affect friction in vertical directions?

The factors that affect friction in vertical directions include the weight of the object, the type of surface it is moving on, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

3. How does friction in vertical directions differ from friction in horizontal directions?

Unlike friction in horizontal directions which acts parallel to the surface, friction in vertical directions acts perpendicular to the surface and is affected by the weight of the object.

4. Can friction in vertical directions be reduced?

Yes, friction in vertical directions can be reduced by using lubricants, increasing the surface area of the object in contact with the surface, or by reducing the weight of the object.

5. How does friction in vertical directions affect the motion of objects?

Friction in vertical directions can slow down or stop the motion of objects, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It also plays a crucial role in keeping objects stable and preventing them from sliding or falling down.