Full Adder Sum Formula (Logic)

In summary: What do you plan to use the map for? The map is just for visualization -- you can solve the problem algebraically without it.
King
Hi,
I've been trying to work out the formula for the sum for the full adder logic, however have come across a gap which I don't know how to fill.
S = (¬A.¬B.C) + (¬A.B.¬C) + (A.¬B.¬C) + (A.B.C)
S = ¬A.(¬B.C + B.¬C) + A.(¬B.¬C)
S = ¬A.(B [tex]\oplus[/tex] C) + A.( do not know what to do at this point to reach the next stage
S = (A [tex]\oplus[/tex] B) [tex]\oplus[/tex] C

Does anyone know how to get to that last statement?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
King said:
Hi,
I've been trying to work out the formula for the sum for the full adder logic, however have come across a gap which I don't know how to fill.
S = (¬A.¬B.C) + (¬A.B.¬C) + (A.¬B.¬C) + (A.B.C)
S = ¬A.(¬B.C + B.¬C) + A.(¬B.¬C)
S = ¬A.(B [tex]\oplus[/tex] C) + A.( do not know what to do at this point to reach the next stage
S = (A [tex]\oplus[/tex] B) [tex]\oplus[/tex] C

Does anyone know how to get to that last statement?

Thanks for any help.

It's probably easiest to draw a Karnaugh map for the function, and use that to help your intuition in the reduction. Have you drawn a K-map for this yet?

Nope. I have never used one before.

Edit: How come this received a warning? This isn't homework or coursework. It's just studying.

King said:
Nope. I have never used one before.

Edit: How come this received a warning? This isn't homework or coursework. It's just studying.

Studying is coursework. Even if it's for self-study, it belongs in the Homework Help forums, and needs to follow the rules here. You can check out the Rules link at the top of the page for clarification.

The K-map is a great tool for helping you visualize logic reduction. Here's an intro to get you started -- there are lots of other learning resources for K-maps on the web:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

berkeman said:
Studying is coursework. Even if it's for self-study, it belongs in the Homework Help forums, and needs to follow the rules here. You can check out the Rules link at the top of the page for clarification.

That doesn't make sense since every thread in these forums is about help to understand something, so one could always link it to a course since there are courses for everything, and thus everything should therefore be in the Homework Help forums. But anyway...

Does anyone know how to solve this without the K-map since I don't really have colouring pencils to create this diagram, just a pen? Also, how would one solve this algebraically?

Why do you need coloured pencils for the Karnaugh map?

1. What is a full adder sum formula in logic?

A full adder sum formula is a mathematical expression used in digital logic circuits to calculate the sum of two binary numbers. It is used in the design of arithmetic and counting circuits, and is an essential component in the construction of digital computers.

2. How does a full adder work?

A full adder is a digital circuit that takes in two binary inputs, along with a carry input, and produces a sum output and a carry output. It operates by using logic gates to perform binary addition, taking into account any carry bits from previous calculations.

3. What is the truth table for a full adder sum formula?

The truth table for a full adder sum formula shows the four possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs. The inputs are the two binary numbers and the carry input, while the outputs are the sum and the carry. The truth table is as follows:

Input A Input B Carry In Sum Carry Out
0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1 0
1 0 0 1 0
1 1 0 0 1
0 0 1 1 0
0 1 1 0 1
1 0 1 0 1
1 1 1 1 1

4. Can a full adder sum formula be simplified?

Yes, a full adder sum formula can be simplified using boolean algebra. By simplifying the expression, the circuit can be made smaller and more efficient. Some common simplification techniques include using the commutative and associative properties, as well as Boolean identities and theorems.

5. What are the applications of a full adder sum formula?

A full adder sum formula has numerous applications in digital logic and computer engineering. It is used in the design of arithmetic circuits, such as adders and multipliers, as well as in counting circuits, memory circuits, and microprocessors. It is also an essential component in the construction of electronic calculators, computers, and other digital devices.