Functions of Two Variables. Need Help

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a tutorial question involving partial derivatives, finding stationary points, and applying the chain rule. They have found the partial derivatives for Part (a) and are unsure of how to find the values for the stationary points. They are also unsure of how to solve Part (b) and are looking for an example for Part (c) to better understand the chain rule.
iylia
I need some help with one of my tutorial questions. This is the question
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9820/ques3dd3.jpg

For Part (a), I have found the partial derivatives as

Fx (x,y) = Cos(x) Sin(y)
Fy (x,y) = Sin(x) Cos (y)

Then to find the stationary points, Let Fx = 0 and Fy = 0. But I am not sure how to find the values..

For Part (b), I have no idea how to solve it..

For Part (c), I know the chain rule for two variables but I am not sure how to apply it to this question. If someone could point out an example that would be great =)

Thx for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a)Fx = 0 when x = 0 or y = pi/2, or x = pi or y = 3pi/2 etc. as long as you are confined within the domain.

(b) hint: gradient of function is the normal vector of the function surface at a certain point.

chain rule is
dg/dt = (df/dx)(dx/dt) + (df/dy)(dy/dt)

were x = t^2; y = exp(t)

if then f(x,y) is Sin(x) * Sin(y)

we get:

df/dx = Cos(t^2) Sin(exp(t))

and (df/dx)*(dx/dt) = 2tCos(t^2) Sin(exp(t))

similar for (df/dy)(dy/dt)

but I am not so sure about the chain rule anymore.

Last edited:

1. What are the independent and dependent variables in a function of two variables?

The independent variables are the inputs of a function, while the dependent variable is the output that is dependent on the values of the independent variables.

2. How do you graph a function of two variables?

To graph a function of two variables, you will need to use a 3-dimensional graph with the x and y axes representing the two independent variables and the z axis representing the dependent variable.

3. What is the purpose of studying functions of two variables?

Studying functions of two variables helps us understand how two different quantities are related to each other. It also allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of a system or process that depends on two variables.

4. What is the difference between a function of one variable and a function of two variables?

A function of one variable has only one independent variable and one dependent variable, while a function of two variables has two independent variables and one dependent variable. This means that the output of a function of two variables is dependent on the values of both independent variables.

5. How do you find the domain and range of a function of two variables?

To find the domain and range of a function of two variables, you will need to consider all possible values of the independent variables and determine the corresponding values of the dependent variable. The domain will be all possible values of the independent variables, while the range will be all possible values of the dependent variable.