What is the effect of a shunt on the sensitivity of a moving coil galvanometer?

In summary, the sensitivity of the galvanometer gets increased by only these factors-increasing the number of turns of the coil,increasing the magnetic field.
palkia

Homework Statement

If a shunt of 1/10th of the coil resistance is applied to a moving coil galvanometer,then it's sensitivity becomes

(a)10 fold
(b)11 fold
(c)1/10 fold
(d)1/11 fold

Homework Equations

ϕ / I = NAB/L

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So sensitivity gets increased by only these factors
(A) Increasing number of turns of coil
(B) Increasing the magnetic field

I don't know which one is happening here. Usually shunt and galvanometer are used to convert it into ammeter but I don't find it's significance here

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First forget the equation and consider what happens when you place a shunt across the galvanometer.

Likes palkia
It starts working as a ammeter

Yes but what is happening to the current through the galvanometer and consequently the affect on the deflection of the needle.

Likes palkia
The current through the galvanometer increases and it's value is 11ig(full scale current) tho idk why it gets increases ...?

The deflection will be more in the second case

Think again the shunt has a smaller resistance than the galvanometer's coil meaning that...?

Likes palkia
Keep in mind that a galvanometer is just a very sensitive ammeter.

Likes palkia
All the major current will flow through the shunt while the same current ig will flow through the galvanometer but my textbook says it will show a deflection of I in this case so I was just confused here.I see now that the sensitivity will get changed due to change in current

So here since the current will become 11 times the previous case therefore sensitivity becomes 1/11 times the original

Your on the right track but can you show your reasoning . That is if you wanted to decrease the sensitivity to 1/5 what is the value of the shunt you wold use?

Likes palkia
1/4 times the galvanometer resistance in my opinion

In physics opinion do not carry much weight but you are correct. Please show your work so that I know that you understand what is going on.

Likes palkia
Okay.

The current in the moving coil ammeter is given by

S=Ig G/I-Ig

Using this ,I calculated the current through the galvanometer which came out to be 11 ig when I plugged S=G/10

Very good. I am satisfied. In solving problems it is sometime best first to think about what is happening than automatically writing down equations.which may or may not be relevant as in this case. You were led astray by the term sensitivity from which you thought the equation for the sensitivity of the galvanometer which in this case is irrelevant.

Likes palkia
Yea.I was actually aiming for that only but later I realized It wasn't going to help me.

Thanks for the help

1. What is a galvanometer and what is its purpose?

A galvanometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small electric currents. Its purpose is to detect and measure the presence and direction of electric currents.

2. How is the sensitivity of a galvanometer determined?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer is determined by its ability to detect and respond to small changes in electric currents. It is typically measured in terms of the smallest detectable current or voltage that the galvanometer can accurately measure.

3. What factors affect the sensitivity of a galvanometer?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer can be affected by various factors including the strength of the magnetic field, the resistance of the coil, and the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and vibrations can also impact the sensitivity of a galvanometer.

4. How does the sensitivity of a galvanometer impact its accuracy?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer directly affects its accuracy. A more sensitive galvanometer will be able to detect smaller changes in electric currents and therefore provide more precise measurements. However, a highly sensitive galvanometer may also be more prone to external disturbances, which can affect its accuracy.

5. Can the sensitivity of a galvanometer be adjusted?

Yes, the sensitivity of a galvanometer can be adjusted by changing the strength of the magnetic field, the resistance of the coil, or the number of turns in the coil. This can be done manually or through electronic adjustments, depending on the type of galvanometer.