Solving Methanol Evaporation Problem

In summary, a person is seeking help with a problem involving the evaporation of methanol in a sealed room. They provide information about the volume of methanol, the dimensions of the room, and the vapor pressure and density of methanol. They also mention their attempt at using the gas law but express uncertainty about their approach. Another person suggests calculating the number of grams and moles of methanol to determine the theoretical moles of gas in the room. The original person expresses gratitude for the help.
Mitchtwitchita
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem?

If you place 10.0L of methanol (CH4O) in a sealed room that is 3 m long, 1.75 m wide, and 2.5 m high, will all the methanol evaporate? If some liquid remains, how much will there be? The vapor pressure of methanol is 127 torr at 25 degrees C, and the density of the liquid at this temperature is 0.791 g/mL.

I'm not quite sure how to get this problem started.

I know that 127 torr = 127 mmHg/760 mmHg = 0.167 atm
and PV = (10.0 L)(0.167 atm) = 1.67 L*atm
and PV = nRT
n=PV/RT
=(0.167 atm)(10.0 L)/(0.0821 L*atm/K*mol)(298 K)
=0.0683 mol

but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or how to fit these pieces together. could somebody please, please, please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are in the right chapter but not the right track. The gas law doesn't work for the 10L of liquid methanol... only for gases.

Calculate how many grams of methanol you have in 10L and from that you can calculate the number of moles. Use the ideal gas law only to find out how many theoretical moles of gas are possible in the room. You will need to make an assumption as to whether the room contains air or is evacuated before the methanol is introduced.

Ah you're a genius! I can't believe the difference in phases didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks a lot Chemisttree! I have found the errors of my ways (and there were a few). Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

1. What is methanol evaporation and why is it a problem?

Methanol evaporation refers to the process in which methanol, a volatile liquid, turns into a gas and dissipates into the surrounding air. This is a problem because methanol is a toxic substance that can be harmful to human health and the environment if released into the air in high concentrations.

2. What causes methanol evaporation?

Methanol evaporation is caused by a combination of factors such as high temperature, low humidity, and air flow. The volatility of methanol also plays a major role in its evaporation rate.

3. How can we solve the methanol evaporation problem?

There are several methods for solving the methanol evaporation problem. One approach is to store methanol in closed containers or tanks, which reduces its exposure to air and minimizes evaporation. Another solution is to use a methanol recovery system, which captures and recycles the evaporated methanol. Additionally, implementing proper ventilation systems and controlling temperature and humidity levels can also help reduce methanol evaporation.

4. What are the potential health and environmental risks associated with methanol evaporation?

The release of high concentrations of methanol into the air can cause respiratory irritation, dizziness, and nausea in humans. It can also have harmful effects on plants and animals in the surrounding environment. In addition, methanol can contribute to the formation of smog and contribute to air pollution.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for managing methanol evaporation?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines in place to manage methanol evaporation. These include workplace safety regulations, environmental regulations, and guidelines from organizations such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is important to follow these regulations to ensure the safe handling and storage of methanol.