Gauge pressure and mercury question

In summary: The weight of water column is W = 4x1000kg/m^3 = 4000kg and the weight of mercury column is W = 13.6x13.6x13.6 = 6117kg. Therefore, the gauge pressure is P = 4000kg/A = 5.8kPa
stormnebula
Gauge pressure question - please help

I came across this multiple choice question while revising for my exams but I can't get any of the chioces. I've spent over an hour on this but can't figure out. Can someone please help me because it's starting to annoy me.

What is the gauge pressure at a depth of 6cm in a glass filled with 4cm of mercury and 4cm of water? Water has a density of 1000kg/m^3, and mercury has a density 13.6 times as great.
(a)3.1kPa
(b)5.6kPa
(c)5.8kPa
(d)310kPa
(e)560kPa

Any help will be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauge pressure is the absolute pressure minus the ambient pressure, so the problem asks for the pressure in the column simply due to the depth of the liquids.

One has 4 cm of Hg and 4 cm of water, but the problem asks for pressure at a depth of 6 cm (from the upper surface). Hg is denser to it has to be on the bottom.

So what is the pressure underneath 4 cm water and 2 cm Hg.

Static pressure in a fluid is given by:

[tex] P = \rho\,g\,h[/tex] where [tex]\rho[/tex] is fluid density, g = acceleration of gravity (~9.81 m/s2), and h is height of fluid.

Consider 1 atm = 14.7 lbf/in2 = 760 mm Hg = 101.325 kPa = (760x13.6) mm water.

Final the partial pressures due to depths of each fluid and that will be the gauge pressure.

See also - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html#fp

Last edited:
Thanks, I figured out the answer now. Your were a big help :smile:

I had the same question. Can you please go step by step on how you acquired the answer, because I don't understand how to "final" the different liquids and getting a gauge pressure.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Blackplague! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you don't understand the formula, look at it this way …

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=80" = force/area

the gauge pressure at the bottom of the glass is the weight of all the liquid in a vertical cylinder, divided by the area of that cylinder …

so if you have a vertical cylinder of cross-section area A, what is the weight of water and mercury in that cylinder? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gauge pressure and mercury question

1. What is gauge pressure and how is it measured?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is typically measured using a gauge that compares the pressure of a fluid (such as mercury) to the pressure of the atmosphere.

2. Why is mercury commonly used in gauge pressure measurements?

Mercury has a high density and low vapor pressure, making it ideal for measuring high pressures. It also has a large liquid temperature range, allowing for accurate measurements in various environments.

3. How does the height of a mercury column relate to gauge pressure?

The height of a mercury column is directly proportional to the gauge pressure. This is known as the hydrostatic equation and can be expressed as P = ρgh, where P is the gauge pressure, ρ is the density of mercury, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the mercury column.

4. What are the limitations of using mercury in gauge pressure measurements?

Mercury is toxic and can be hazardous to handle. It also has a relatively high expansion coefficient, meaning its volume changes significantly with temperature. This can affect the accuracy of the gauge pressure measurement.

5. How can gauge pressure be converted to other units of pressure?

Gauge pressure can be converted to other units, such as absolute pressure or vacuum pressure, by adding or subtracting the atmospheric pressure value. It can also be converted to other units of pressure, such as pascals or atmospheres, using conversion factors.