1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law - electric field

1. Apr 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinite metal plate has a surface density of charge σL=-6μC/m² , Left side and a surface density Of load σR=+4μC/m² , in the right side. A Gaussian surface In the form of a circular cylinder, with area A 12 cm², is Located with the left side inside the plaque and a thin Plate loaded to the right. The surface charge density of the Metal plate is σA. Check the correct option with respect to the density value Superficial σA And flow ΦE Through the Gaussian.

a134tv.png

ANSWER: D

2. Relevant equations

Gauss law for an infinite plate: E=|σ|/2ε0

3. The attempt at a solution

I could not understand the problem, I do not know how to find the density and nor the flow. I tried to use Gauss's Law but I could not understand the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you be more specific about what it is that you do not understand?
    You have a charged thick metal plate and a charged thin metal plate. Since the thick plate is a conductor, what can you say about the field inside it?
    You quote the formula for the field resulting from an infinite uniform plane of charge. What fields from such planes act inside the thick plate? What equation does that give you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted