Gauss' Law - Electric Field for a Charged Metal Plate

In summary, the problem involves an infinite metal plate with a surface density of charge -6μC/m² on the left side and +4μC/m² on the right side. A circular cylinder Gaussian surface is placed with the left side inside the plate and a thin plate loaded on the right. The problem is to find the correct option for the surface charge density σA and the electric flux ΦE through the Gaussian surface. By using Gauss's Law and taking into account the field inside a conductor, we can find the equation for the electric field inside the thick plate and solve for the density and flux.
Gustavo

Homework Statement

An infinite metal plate has a surface density of charge σL=-6μC/m² , Left side and a surface density Of load σR=+4μC/m² , in the right side. A Gaussian surface In the form of a circular cylinder, with area A 12 cm², is Located with the left side inside the plaque and a thin Plate loaded to the right. The surface charge density of the Metal plate is σA. Check the correct option with respect to the density value Superficial σA And flow ΦE Through the Gaussian.

a134tv.png

ANSWER: D

Homework Equations

Gauss law for an infinite plate: E=|σ|/2ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not understand the problem, I do not know how to find the density and nor the flow. I tried to use Gauss's Law but I could not understand the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gustavo said:
I could not understand the problem,
Can you be more specific about what it is that you do not understand?
You have a charged thick metal plate and a charged thin metal plate. Since the thick plate is a conductor, what can you say about the field inside it?
You quote the formula for the field resulting from an infinite uniform plane of charge. What fields from such planes act inside the thick plate? What equation does that give you?

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the total charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point.

How is Gauss' Law written mathematically?

Gauss' Law is written as ∮SE·dA = Qenc0, where ∮SE·dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface S, Qenc is the total charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

Under what conditions can Gauss' Law be applied?

Gauss' Law can be applied in situations where the electric field and charge distribution have a high degree of symmetry, such as a point charge, line of charge, or spherical shell of charge.

What is the significance of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law allows us to calculate the electric field at a point without having to consider the individual contributions of each charged particle in the system. This simplifies calculations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of electric fields.

How does Gauss' Law relate to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law is a more general form of Coulomb's Law, and it can be derived from Coulomb's Law using the divergence theorem. Gauss' Law applies to all types of charge distributions, while Coulomb's Law specifically applies to point charges.