Get Physics Homework Help: Moments Problem Solved Easily | F1 & F2

• Thread starter palacefc8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a moments problem involving finding F1 and F2. They are struggling with understanding how to calculate clockwise and anticlockwise moments and the direction of forces. They also mention that their solution may be correct except for the direction of F1. Another speaker helps clarify that F1 must act downwards and provides guidance on how to find F2. The original speaker thanks them for their help.
palacefc8

Homework Statement

mappy.jpg

in this attachment is a moments problem could someone please help me solve it

the question is
a) using moments find F1
b)using any method find F2

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your attachment is not yet visible, there is little WE can do as yet, given your minimal descriptions of your problems.

You, however, can alleviate that by describing the problem in sufficient detail.

Furthermore, we have a policy that we don't do your homework for you.
That means you need to say what you have done so far, and identify those part issues you are struggling with.

Until you have shown your own work, you won't get any help.

zoom in

it is visible you just have to zoom in

it shows my attempt but i don't think it is right

any help i would be grateful

FYI: Attachments need to be approved by a moderator before anyone can see them. Be patient! :smile: (It should be viewable now.)

ok I'm verry sorry I'm new so i didn't know they haveto be approved

I'm sorry, your attachment is illegible, at least on my screen.

do you know why?

arildno said:
I'm sorry, your attachment is illegible, at least on my screen.
Zoom in on it. (Just click it to enlarge it.)

FYI: Your attachment is not self-explanatory. Decribe the problem exactly as given and how you attempted to solve it. Use the diagram as supporting material.

Last edited:
i haveto find F1 and i think the best way is to use F2 as the pivot so you automaticaly eliminate F2, then taking clockwise and anticlockwise moments, but that is where i got confused and am not totally sure how to do that part.

Describe the problem a bit more. I don't know how to interpret the diagram yet. Is there some kind of plank? I assume that three forces act on the object: F1, F2, & W? Is the object in equilbrium? Do any other forces act?

Where is this thing attached? Is one end free? Or are both attached?

Is W indicative of the centre of mass, or some mass particle just placed there in addition to the beam(?).

This is too vague and unspecific to make sense of..

its basically like a diving board a long plank and then on the left side there's 2 supports which are 0.8m apart and there is an extra 0.1m on the left side of the first one, W is the weight of the plank and is in the centre of the plank

Okay, picture understood!

So, the diving board is ATTACHED to the point where F1 is, agreed?

In that case, ask yourself:
In which direction should F1 act?

I don't see anything wrong with your solution except the direction of F1. Which way must it point?

(Edit: Too many cooks in this kitchen. You are in good hands with arildno! :wink:)

i don't understand what is acting clockwise and what is acting anticlockwise

i think F1 is the reaction force but wouldnt' that be the same as the force of F1 acting downwards according to Newton's 3rd law

Don't bother about the clockiness of the moments for now, focus on the direction of FORCES.

Do you agree that F1, the force acting upon the diving board from the support must be downwards in direction?

yes, ok it's downwards maybe that was my mistake

do you think my solution is correct then

Barring arithmetical mistakes I haven't bothered to check, yes.

Now, note that the weight will create a clockwise moment about S(upport) 2, whereas F1 will make a counterclockwise one.

Now, knowing that F2 works downwards, what must F2 equal?

Alternatively, compute the moments about Support 1 in order to find F2.

thanks alot

sorry didn't reply earlier went to church, thanks a lot for your help

Related to Get Physics Homework Help: Moments Problem Solved Easily | F1 & F2

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect of a force around a fixed point or pivot. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance between the force and the pivot point.

2. How do you solve moments problems in physics?

To solve moments problems in physics, you need to identify the forces acting on an object, determine their magnitudes and directions, and then use the principle of moments to find the net moment. This can be done by taking the sum of the clockwise moments and the sum of the counterclockwise moments and setting them equal to each other.

3. Can you give an example of a moments problem in physics?

One example of a moments problem in physics is a seesaw with two children of different weights sitting on either end. The pivot point is in the middle of the seesaw and the goal is to find the position where the seesaw will balance.

4. What is the principle of moments in physics?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must equal the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is based on the concept of torque, which is the rotational equivalent of force.

5. How can I get help with solving moments problems in physics?

You can get help with solving moments problems in physics by seeking assistance from a physics tutor or by using online resources such as tutorial videos, practice problems, and forums. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for help and work together to solve the problem.