Get the stress tensor using virtual displacement principle

Your name]In summary, to obtain the stress tensor for this problem using the method of virtual displacement, we need to split the system into several systems, including a main system and three virtual systems. We can use the equations of equilibrium, compatibility, and constitutive laws to solve for the reactions and virtual displacements in each of the systems.
SpaceBani
Homework Statement
Using method of virtual displacement get the stress tensor for this problem.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7272/problemba.png
The attempt at a solution

The given system is 4-times tatically indeterminate. Since it is symetrical we can split it in half vertically. We need to fix it in one point (upper end). The "new" system is 3-times statically indeterminate.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2116/problem2j.png

As far as I know we need to split this into several systems; 1 main + 3 virtual. But I don't really know how and which variables do I need to have. I do not seek the answer to the whole problem (calculating when we get these variables), just some help on how to split this further.

Any help appritiated, thank you!

And I am sorry if I used some expressions that are not correct, english is not my main language. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To get the stress tensor for this problem using the method of virtual displacement, we first need to understand the concept of virtual displacement. A virtual displacement is a hypothetical displacement that allows us to analyze the behavior of a system under small, infinitesimal changes without actually applying any forces or displacements to the system.

In this problem, we are dealing with a symmetrical system that is statically indeterminate. We can split it in half vertically and fix it at one end, as you have correctly identified. This results in a "new" system that is 3-times statically indeterminate.

To further solve this problem using the method of virtual displacement, we need to split the "new" system into several systems, as you have mentioned. These systems will include the main system and three virtual systems.

The main system will consist of the original system, split in half vertically and fixed at one end. The three virtual systems will be created by applying a virtual displacement to each of the three remaining free ends of the "new" system.

To calculate the stress tensor for this problem, we will need to use the equations of equilibrium, compatibility, and constitutive laws. We can use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the reactions at the fixed end of the main system, and then use the equations of compatibility to determine the virtual displacements at the free ends of the three virtual systems. Finally, we can use the constitutive laws to relate the stress and strain in each of the systems.

I hope this helps you to better understand how to approach this problem using the method of virtual displacement. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

1. What is the virtual displacement principle?

The virtual displacement principle is a concept used in mechanics to analyze the behavior of a system under small virtual displacements. It states that the work done by the internal forces of a system during a virtual displacement is equal to the change in potential energy of the system.

2. How is the virtual displacement principle used to calculate the stress tensor?

The virtual displacement principle is used to calculate the stress tensor by considering the virtual displacements of each individual particle in a system. By analyzing the changes in potential energy of these particles, the internal forces on each particle can be determined, which can then be used to calculate the stress tensor.

3. What is the significance of calculating the stress tensor?

The stress tensor is a fundamental quantity in mechanics that describes the distribution of internal forces within a system. It is used to analyze the stress and strain in a system, which is essential for understanding the mechanical behavior of materials and structures.

4. Are there any limitations to using the virtual displacement principle for calculating the stress tensor?

While the virtual displacement principle can provide accurate results for small deformations, it may not be applicable for larger deformations or systems with complex geometries. In these cases, other methods such as finite element analysis may be more suitable for calculating the stress tensor.

5. Can the virtual displacement principle be applied to non-mechanical systems?

Yes, the virtual displacement principle can be applied to a variety of systems, including non-mechanical systems such as thermal and fluid systems. In these cases, the principle is used to analyze the internal energy and energy transfer within the system.