Gold on micro-scale cantilever

In summary, the conversation discusses the best method for putting gold only on a microscale cantilever and the cost associated with it. The suggested method is sputtering or evaporation, with the latter being preferred for a higher quality layer. The cost may vary depending on where the process is done, with university facilities likely being the most affordable option.
sabeha
hi everyone;

how can I put gold only on my microscale cantilever ?

Merci :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
sabeha said:
hi everyone;

how can I put gold only on my microscale cantilever ?

Merci :)

Would sputtering work? What have you tried? How thick do you need the coating?

thanks I think that is what I will do ... how much that will cost?
for the thick coating we don't need a very large one sorry for my english

sabeha said:
thanks I think that is what I will do ... how much that will cost?
for the thick coating we don't need a very large one

sorry for my english

Depends where you do it? University will most likely be cheapest, unless you want bulk fabrication.

At my University it cost about $100/hr for lab use (with a max charge of only 4hrs), about $80 for a gram of gold and you'd have to be trained on the evaporator. The only sputter machine in our lab with a free to use gold source leaves low quality gold layer. The best option here at CU is to evaporate, I think in general evaporation leaves a higher quality layer; however, it does cause more thermal stress depending on the apparatus, distance between target and source...

Related to Gold on micro-scale cantilever

1. What is "Gold on micro-scale cantilever"?

"Gold on micro-scale cantilever" refers to a thin layer of gold that has been deposited on a micro-scale cantilever, which is a tiny beam or lever that is typically used in scientific instruments for measuring extremely small forces. This technique allows for precise and sensitive measurements of interactions between the gold layer and other substances or forces.

2. How is the gold layer deposited onto the cantilever?

The gold layer is typically deposited using a process called sputtering, in which gold atoms are ejected from a target source and then deposited onto the cantilever using a high-energy beam. This method allows for a thin and uniform layer of gold to be deposited onto the cantilever surface.

3. What are some applications of using gold on micro-scale cantilevers?

Gold on micro-scale cantilevers has many potential applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include biosensors for detecting biomolecules, force sensors for studying interactions between molecules, and nanoscale imaging tools for atomic force microscopy.

4. How does the gold layer affect the properties of the cantilever?

The addition of a gold layer can change the mechanical and electrical properties of the cantilever, making it stiffer and more conductive. This can be advantageous for certain applications, such as in biosensors where a stiffer cantilever can provide more accurate measurements.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with using gold on micro-scale cantilevers?

One limitation is that the gold layer may affect the natural resonance frequency of the cantilever, which can impact its sensitivity and accuracy. Additionally, the gold layer may also degrade over time due to oxidation or contamination, which can affect the reliability of measurements. Careful design and maintenance of the cantilever is necessary to overcome these challenges.