Grade 12 Kinematics Test Study tips?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to do well on their Kinematics Test in Grade 12 physics after getting a low score on it last year. They are given a formula sheet but are looking for tips on how to interpret the questions quickly and correctly. One person suggests using two equations instead of the formula sheet, and another recommends watching a lecture on the concepts behind the equations. The speaker expresses gratitude for the advice and updates that the test went well.
ryan8642
1. The problem statement,
Last year in physics i did good on every test but the kinematics test.
i got a 69% on it...

Now i am in Grade 12 physics and my Kinematics Test is tuesday.
We are given a formula sheet.
I don't want to get another 69% on a kinematics test, i want to do good, like 75 and up.

Im just wondering if anyone has any study tips on how i will succeed with my goal.
I guess the main question I am asking is for tips on how to interpret the question quick and correctly, because my math is fine.
Practice test links would be great also.

Any tips are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
ryan8642 said:
1. The problem statement,
Last year in physics i did good on every test but the kinematics test.
i got a 69% on it...

Now i am in Grade 12 physics and my Kinematics Test is tuesday.
We are given a formula sheet.
I don't want to get another 69% on a kinematics test, i want to do good, like 75 and up.

Im just wondering if anyone has any study tips on how i will succeed with my goal.
I guess the main question I am asking is for tips on how to interpret the question quick and correctly, because my math is fine.
Practice test links would be great also.

Any tips are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Ryan

My best advice would be not to use the formula sheet at all. Just remember these two equations:

velocity final = velocity intial + acceleration * time

displacement = velocity_initial * time + (1/2)acceleration * time ^ 2

You can use them simultaneously to solve any kinematic problem.

The_Journey said:
My best advice would be not to use the formula sheet at all. Just remember these two equations:

velocity final = velocity intial + acceleration * time

displacement = velocity_initial * time + (1/2)acceleration * time ^ 2

You can use them simultaneously to solve any kinematic problem.

That is a great tip thank you!
ill try to use just those 2 formulas when i am doing practice questions tonight.

There's really only one formula you need to remember, and it itself is a consequence of integrating constant acceleration (i.e. gravitational acceleration). Using this equation you can re-derive via algebra all the others in a matter of seconds, but yeah the two mentioned here are the ones I remember and use (the other one being very useful for the Kinetic Energy derivation).

x = x₀ + v₀t + ½at² (as was already mentioned).

And the second (in snazzy notation :rolleyes:)
v² = v₀² + 2a(x - x₀)

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics

If you'd like an amazing lecture on why this equation works so well & how all of the other eq's are conceptually derived you should watch the first lecture in the above link, it's only 45 mins (well, you should at least watch the start of the second lecture too for the review).

Once you've got the equations down I advise you to do a lot of practice problems, especially on concepts like range and trajectory, as they did seem to trip me up a few times. The separation into x & y coordinates is really a blessing when you figure out that it's not just a means of torturing you :tongue2:

sponsoredwalk said:
There's really only one formula you need to remember, and it itself is a consequence of integrating constant acceleration (i.e. gravitational acceleration). Using this equation you can re-derive via algebra all the others in a matter of seconds, but yeah the two mentioned here are the ones I remember and use (the other one being very useful for the Kinetic Energy derivation).

x = x₀ + v₀t + ½at² (as was already mentioned).

And the second (in snazzy notation :rolleyes:)
v² = v₀² + 2a(x - x₀)

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics

If you'd like an amazing lecture on why this equation works so well & how all of the other eq's are conceptually derived you should watch the first lecture in the above link, it's only 45 mins (well, you should at least watch the start of the second lecture too for the review).

Once you've got the equations down I advise you to do a lot of practice problems, especially on concepts like range and trajectory, as they did seem to trip me up a few times. The separation into x & y coordinates is really a blessing when you figure out that it's not just a means of torturing you :tongue2:

thanks a million =)
i will definitely watch the video

test was a piece of cake =D

1. What is kinematics and why is it important to study in Grade 12?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is important to study in Grade 12 because it forms the basis for understanding more complex concepts in physics, such as dynamics and energy.

2. How can I best prepare for a Grade 12 Kinematics test?

First, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the basic kinematic equations and how to apply them to solve problems. Practice solving different types of problems and work on your time management skills. It is also helpful to review your notes and previous assignments and to seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a particular topic.

3. What are some common mistakes students make on a Grade 12 Kinematics test?

One common mistake is not understanding the difference between average and instantaneous velocity and acceleration. Another mistake is not recognizing the importance of units and using the correct units in calculations. Students may also struggle with applying the correct kinematic equation to solve a problem.

4. Are there any specific tips for solving kinematics problems on a Grade 12 test?

One tip is to always draw a diagram and label the known and unknown variables. This will help you visualize the problem and determine which kinematic equation to use. Also, pay attention to the units given in the problem and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of kinematics as a whole?

Practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve, the better you will understand the concepts and equations. You can also watch online videos or seek extra help from your teacher or a tutor. It is also helpful to try to relate kinematics to real-life examples to better understand the concepts.