Grade 12 Physics - Equations relating current and radius of a beam

In summary, the assignment involves measuring electron beams with different voltages, currents, and radii. The values for voltage, current, and diameter of the beams were recorded in order. The task is to graph the relationships between current and radius, as well as voltage and radius, without guessing a line of best fit. Equations relevant to magnetic fields and electrons can be used from a provided resource. The student has already graphed the first two relationships but is struggling to find an equation relating radius and current. However, they eventually figure it out and successfully complete the lab, obtaining the charge: mass ratio of an electron.
GR + QM

Homework Statement

Okay, the assignment involves electron beams of various voltages, currents, and radii
Basically, the situation is, several of these beams were measured for the aforesaid values.
The values as follow are in the following order - Voltage (J/c) - Current in Helmholtz Coils (A) - Diameter of Electron Beam (cm)

1. 42.5 - 2.30 - 6.0
2. 44.0 - 1.90 - 7.5
3. 45.0 - 1.70 - 8.7
4. 46.0 - 1.40 - 10.3
5. 46.5 - 1.20 - 12.0
6. 47.0 - 1.15 - 12.5

With the following values, I'm told to graph the relationship between the current and the radius, and to graph the relationship between voltage and radius. I have done that, BUT, the problem is that I'm not supposed to guess a line of best fit, but I'm supposed to formulate equations showing what the line must look like. This is what gets me.

I'm quite lost because afterwards, I have to make a THIRD graph showing the straight line relationship between voltage and radius.

Homework Equations

All equations relevant to magnetic fields and electrons, such as
F[itex]_{}m[/itex]= qvB

All equations here are allowed to be used http://education.Alberta.ca/media/3091847/01%20p30-3797_ft_databooklet-2011.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I've graphed the first two given graphs, I plotted the dots but now I cannot proceed because I can't figure out an equation relating the radius and current.Thank you in advance for all supportive and productive comments, the help is greatly appreciated. I am excelling at the moment, but this has stumped me and I've spent hours with no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind! I got it all, the lab was supposed to end up with finding the charge : mass ratio of an electron, and I got it all.

1. What is the equation for calculating the current of a beam in Grade 12 Physics?

The equation for calculating the current of a beam in Grade 12 Physics is I = q/t, where I stands for current, q stands for charge, and t stands for time.

2. How is the radius of a beam related to its current in Grade 12 Physics?

The radius of a beam is related to its current through the equation B = (μ0 * I)/2πr, where B stands for magnetic field, μ0 stands for the permeability of free space, I stands for current, and r stands for radius.

3. What is the significance of the current and radius of a beam in Grade 12 Physics?

The current and radius of a beam are important parameters in determining the strength and direction of the magnetic field created by the beam. This is crucial in many applications, such as particle accelerators and MRI machines.

4. Is there a relationship between the current and radius of a beam in Grade 12 Physics?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the current and radius of a beam. As the current increases, the magnetic field also increases, resulting in a larger radius of the beam. Similarly, a decrease in current will result in a smaller radius of the beam.

5. How can the equation relating current and radius of a beam be applied in real-world situations?

The equation relating current and radius of a beam can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design and operation of particle accelerators, MRI machines, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields. It can also be used in research and development of new technologies that involve the manipulation of charged particles.