Graphical Derivation of x = Asin(ωt)

• Thread starter Izero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the equation for simple harmonic motion, x = Asinωt, can be derived graphically by taking a sine curve as the displacement over time and transforming it by stretching it by a factor of 1/(2πf) and then adding on the amplitude, resulting in the equation x = Asin(2πft). The use of angular frequency, ω, is necessary to relate the time period, T, to the horizontal stretch in the graph.
Izero

Homework Statement

Deriving the equation for simple harmonic motion, x = Asinωt, graphically.

Homework Equations

ω = 2πf, where f = 1/T

2. The attempt at a solution
Take a sine curve as the simple harmonic motion (displacement, x, on y-axis; time, t, on x-axis), then transform it.

The min/max is the amplitude, so we can stretch the graph to say that x = Asin(t).

However, I can't quite get my head around where the ω comes from - I realize that there is a horizontal stretch which must be somehow related to the time period, but I can't quite see why it is 2πf.

Physics news on Phys.org
Izero said:
However, I can't quite get my head around where the ω comes from - I realize that there is a horizontal stretch which must be somehow related to the time period, but I can't quite see why it is 2πf.
Imagine a circle with radius 1 (m, km, take whatever dimension you want). Walk around that circle f times. How far have you walked?

Svein said:
Imagine a circle with radius 1 (m, km, take whatever dimension you want). Walk around that circle f times. How far have you walked?
2πf units (and therefore 2πf radians covered). I think I understand what angular frequency is; I just don't seem to be able to relate it to the graph/equation.

Last edited:
Izero said:
I think I understand what angular frequency is; I just don't seem to be able to relate it to the graph/equation.
Perhaps this would help.
Animation1.gif

SHM as projection of uniform circular motion...

Okay, so y = sin(kx) stretches the graph by a factor of (1/k), right? (compresses it by a factor of k).

So stretching it by T would actually be a transformation of x = sin(t/T), which is x = sin(ft).

Then you want to 'undo' the pi-ness of the x-axis to make the units seconds (and not have the pi scale hanging around), so you want to stretch by 1/(2π)? That means the whole transformation would be x = sin(2πft). And then you add on the amplitude: x= Asin(2πft).

Does that make sense at all?

Last edited:
Izero said:
Okay, so y = sin(kx) stretches the graph by a factor of (1/k), right? (compresses it by a factor of k).

Why not just introduce ##\omega## at this point and not be bothered with ##\pi##?

Mister T said:
Why not just introduce ##\omega## at this point and not be bothered with ##\pi##?
Because I still can't fit ω into it in my head! I was trying to reason it through so that it made intuitive sense to me, and the use of ω straight off just doesn't click!

The sine function requires an angle, eg Sin(Θ), ω is not an angle, it is an angular velocity. The angle is (ωt)

Related to Graphical Derivation of x = Asin(ωt)

1. What is the purpose of graphically deriving x = Asin(ωt)?

The purpose of graphically deriving x = Asin(ωt) is to visually represent the relationship between the position of an object (x) and time (t) when the object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with an amplitude (A) and angular frequency (ω) as parameters.

2. How is x = Asin(ωt) graphically derived?

To graphically derive x = Asin(ωt), a sine wave is plotted on a graph with time on the x-axis and position on the y-axis. The amplitude (A) of the wave determines the maximum displacement of the object, and the angular frequency (ω) determines the rate at which the object oscillates.

3. What does the graph of x = Asin(ωt) look like?

The graph of x = Asin(ωt) is a sine wave with a horizontal axis (time) and a vertical axis (position). The amplitude (A) determines the height of the wave, while the angular frequency (ω) determines the number of complete cycles within a given time interval.

4. How does the value of A affect the graph of x = Asin(ωt)?

The value of A directly affects the amplitude (height) of the sine wave. A larger value of A will result in a taller wave, while a smaller value will result in a shorter wave. When A = 0, the graph becomes a straight line on the x-axis, indicating no displacement.

5. What is the significance of ω in the graph of x = Asin(ωt)?

The value of ω affects the frequency of the sine wave, or the number of complete cycles that occur in a given time interval. A larger value of ω will result in a higher frequency (more cycles), while a smaller value will result in a lower frequency (fewer cycles). The value of ω is also related to the period of the motion (T = 2π/ω) and the angular velocity (ω = 2πf) of the object.