1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing polar coordinates

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

graph the polar function r=2cos[tex]\theta[/tex] (-[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]/2) sorry that last theta/2 should be pi/2. new to this math text
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed the positive part right, I think. it seems to trace a half circle. I get confused when it comes to the negative radians. what would this trace out in full. Excuse me but its been a while since trig.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should get a full circle of unit radius, centered at (1,0). The easiest way to see that [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] traces out the entire circle is to find parametric equations for [itex]x-1[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and use the double angle identities. You should find that [itex]x-1=\cos(2\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=\sin(2\theta)[/itex] and so as theta moves through pi radians, (x-1) and y both move through a full period, tracing out the entire circle.

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    I think an even easier way once you find part of the graph is use symmetry. If you can replace theta by negative theta then there is symmetry with respect to the polar axis and the circle is completed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook