Guage Pressure, force, and displacement help

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics assignment and encountering difficulties in finding the answer online. They are trying to calculate the pressure in part A using the formula P = rho*g*h, but are unsure about the result. The conversation also mentions the concept of gauge pressure and the importance of considering the pressure on the top and bottom of the block. The questions at the end involve calculating the downward and upward forces, as well as determining the net force and its direction.
Landlocked26
If someone could please help with the attached assignment. I am having trouble getting started with this and cannot find a suitable answer online by myself. I am trying to do part A first and then work from there but I feel like I am wrong.

A.
P=rho*g*h
P=1000 kg/m3 * 10 m/s2 * .1m
P=

I am not getting what I am supposed to come up with when I multiply these. I think it is
1000 N/m2.

Attachments

• Pressure.pdf
    574 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
Landlocked26 said:
If someone could please help with the attached assignment. I am having trouble getting started with this and cannot find a suitable answer online by myself. I am trying to do part A first and then work from there but I feel like I am wrong.

A.
P=rho*g*h
P=1000 kg/m3 * 10 m/s2 * .1m
P=

I am not getting what I am supposed to come up with when I multiply these. I think it is
1000 N/m2.
The gauge pressure is the pressure due to the water. That pressure is a function only of the depth: [itex]P = F/A = \rho gh[/itex]. You have calculated the pressure on the top of the block. What is the pressure on the bottom?

What is the downward force on the top of the block due to water pressure (use pressure x area to find force)? What is the upward force on the bottom? What is the net force? What direction is the net force? (up or down?).

AM

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance. I am happy to help you understand the concepts of gauge pressure, force, and displacement.

First, let's define each of these terms:

1. Gauge pressure: This is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the total pressure and the atmospheric pressure.

2. Force: This is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its direction of motion.

3. Displacement: This is the distance and direction of an object's change in position.

Now, let's look at the equation you provided for gauge pressure, which is commonly known as the hydrostatic equation:

P = ρgh

Where:
P = gauge pressure (in pascals or N/m2)
ρ = density of the fluid (in kg/m3)
g = acceleration due to gravity (in m/s2)
h = height or depth of the fluid (in meters)

Based on the given values, the calculation for gauge pressure would be:

P = 1000 kg/m3 * 10 m/s2 * 0.1 m
P = 1000 N/m2

So, your calculation is correct. The unit for gauge pressure is pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

I hope this helps you with your assignment. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck!

What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is typically expressed in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). Gauge pressure is used to measure the pressure of a fluid or gas in a closed system.

How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). In other words, the greater the mass or acceleration of an object, the greater the force applied to it.

What factors affect displacement?

Displacement is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the mass of the object, and the characteristics of the medium through which the object is moving. Additionally, the shape and surface area of an object can also affect its displacement. For example, a larger surface area can experience greater drag and therefore have a larger displacement.

How does gauge pressure differ from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is measured relative to a perfect vacuum. This means that absolute pressure includes the pressure from the atmosphere, while gauge pressure only measures the pressure of the fluid or gas in the closed system.

What is the relationship between force and displacement?

The relationship between force and displacement is described by Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to an elastic object is directly proportional to the displacement produced. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its displacement will be.