Guy Jumping out of Building (Air Resistance)

In summary, the person falls for about 33 ft and has a velocity of 8.6 m/sec^2 just before hitting the net.
DLPhysics

Homework Statement

A 72 kg person escapes from a burning building by jumping from a window 30 m above a
catching net. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2. Assuming that air resistance is simply a
constant 88 N force on the person during the fall, determine the person’s velocity just before hitting the net.

Homework Equations

Fg (force of gravity) - Air resistance = (mass) (acceleration)

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only reason that I am getting the question wrong is because of the fact that I think that inital velocity of the man jumping out is 0. I'm pretty sure that I plugged in everything on the first equation correctly, but I'm geting frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for speed is not correct.

[tex]\Delta v = at[/tex]

I get 8.6 m/sec^2 as the acceleration. You just have to find the time of fall.

AM

Yes i totally agree with Mr.Mason...

There is some forces that is acting on the guy,,, draw a diagram to see that clearly (there is a gravitational force on him,and a constant force that is actually preventing him to fall with gravitational acceleration(9,8))

This means you cannot take the value of the acceleration as 9,8 while he is falling to the ground, because your net acceleration is the one with resistance force included.(I think that's where your mistake is)

After you get your net value for acceleration you can easily calculate total time of flight and therefore calculate the final velocity.(note that this is like a projectile motion, so you will both have horizontal and vertical velocities)

DLPhysics said:

Homework Equations

Fg (force of gravity) - Air resistance = (mass) (acceleration)

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only reason that I am getting the question wrong is because of the fact that I think that inital velocity of the man jumping out is 0. I'm pretty sure that I plugged in everything on the first equation correctly, but I'm geting frustrated.

Your formula is correct. As no initial velocity is mentioned, it should be zero. What result have you got?

ehild

yes. ehild is correct. I see what you are doing. The change in kinetic energy is mv^2/2 which has to be equal to the work done by the net force. W= F x d = mass x acceleration x distance. The distance is the height through which he falls.

[tex]v_f^2 = 2ah[/tex]

You just have to use the correct acceleration.

AM

Related to Guy Jumping out of Building (Air Resistance)

1. How does air resistance affect a person jumping out of a building?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In the case of a person jumping out of a building, air resistance will act in the opposite direction of their motion, slowing them down and reducing their speed.

2. Can air resistance be ignored for a person jumping out of a building?

No, air resistance cannot be ignored for a person jumping out of a building. The force of air resistance will have a significant impact on their descent and must be taken into consideration in any analysis or calculations.

3. Does air resistance have a greater effect on a person with a larger surface area?

Yes, air resistance has a greater effect on a person with a larger surface area. This is because a larger surface area means there is more area for the air to act upon, resulting in a greater force of air resistance.

4. How does the shape of a person affect air resistance while jumping out of a building?

The shape of a person can greatly affect air resistance while jumping out of a building. A more streamlined shape, such as a skydiver's body position, can reduce the force of air resistance and increase their speed. On the other hand, a less streamlined shape, such as a spread-eagle position, will increase air resistance and slow the person down.

5. How does air density affect air resistance for a person jumping out of a building?

Air density plays a significant role in air resistance for a person jumping out of a building. Lower air density, such as at higher altitudes, will result in less air resistance and a faster descent. Higher air density, such as at lower altitudes, will have the opposite effect, increasing air resistance and slowing the person down.