Hankel Functions: Exploring Real & Imaginary Arguments

• Thread starter rj_brown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hankel functions in comparison to Bessel functions. The person is seeking information on Hankel functions of imaginary or complex argument and their relationship to Bessel functions. They also mention the transformation of Bessel's equation into the modified Bessel equation. The conversation references resources such as MathWorld and a mathematics handbook for further information on the topic.
rj_brown
Hey guys!

Ok so this one's pretty far out there... I'm looking into a piece of work to do with Bessel functions and I'm trying to extend my work using Hankel functions... but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of literature out there so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them.

I'm trying to look at comparing Hankel functions of real argument with Hankel functions of imaginary argument (or on an ambitious day ever Hankel functions of complex argument!).

I know that for real argument:
H_n^1 (x)=J_n (x) + iY_n (x) and H_n^2 (x)=J_n (x) - iY_n(x)

But is there an equivalence between H_n^1 (ix) and H_n^2 (ix) and Bessel functions?

I'm asking this because my work takes the Bessel equation and the modified Bessel equation. I know that you can transform the Bessel equation into the modified Bessel equation by the transform of x -> ix and that the solutions of Bessel's equation can be transformed in the same way to give the solutions of the modifed Bessel equation.

The solution of Bessel's equation can be written as a linear combination of the first and second Hankel functions and if these are of real argument then surely the solution of the modified Bessel equation will be given as a linear combination of first and second kind Hankel functions of imaginary argument.

I know this is all a bit long and contrived so sorry for going on, really I'm just looking for any info about Hankel functions of imaginary or complex argument and if they have corresponding Bessel functions.

Thanks guys!

(p.s. sorry about the equations, I have no clue about LaTeX)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Hankel Functions: Exploring Real & Imaginary Arguments

1. What are Hankel functions?

Hankel functions are mathematical functions that are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves and other physical phenomena. They are named after the German mathematician Hermann Hankel.

2. What are the real and imaginary arguments of Hankel functions?

Hankel functions have both real and imaginary arguments, which can be thought of as the horizontal and vertical components of a complex number. These arguments are used to calculate the amplitude and phase of waves in different directions.

3. How are Hankel functions different from other special functions?

Hankel functions are different from other special functions, such as Bessel functions and Legendre functions, because they are used specifically to describe wave phenomena. They also have unique properties and mathematical relationships with other special functions.

4. What are some applications of Hankel functions?

Hankel functions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. They are also used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and solving differential equations.

5. How can Hankel functions be computed and graphed?

Hankel functions can be computed using numerical methods or through the use of special software such as Mathematica or MATLAB. They can also be graphed using these tools or by hand using a graphing calculator or by plotting data points.