1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Integration

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    How would you integrate this. I tried all integration methods available in Calculus II to no avail.

∫√(1+sin x) dx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    Did you try u = sinx? That should give you something easy to work with.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    I tried but d(sin x)/dx is cos x. We're missing the cos(x) here. :)

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

is this indefinite or does it have limits? if there is limits you may be able to use the symmetry with cos to simplify things

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    It has limits [0,∏]. I know the cosine is a symmetrical function, but could you please expand a little on your symmetry argument in solving this integral.
    thank you

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

well if you draw the sin and cos functions, you might be able to convince yourself that (could also do it by hand using pi/2 funtion shifts & negative angles):

based on symmetry of the sin function around pi/2
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = 2 \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}}[/tex]

and based on symmetry of the sin & cos functions on the interval [0,pi/2]
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}[/tex]

so you could re-write the integral as
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx (\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}) [/tex]

unfortunately after all that, i'm not sure whether it helps, remember a similar looking integral and though it might be worth a go... sorry ;(

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Sep 28, 2009 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

so if you bought up to here
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = 2 \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}[/tex]

how about using half angle
    [tex] cos(x) = 2cos^2(x/2)-1 [/tex]

then
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}= \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} cos(x/2)}[/tex]

which is getting maybe a little more tractable...?

9. Sep 28, 2009 #8
    I hadn't looked at it too closely at first, but this one is a little tricky where you need another subtle substitution:

[tex]\int \sqrt{1 + sinx} ~dx[/tex]
    u = sinx → x = sin-1u

du = cosx dx

[tex]\frac{du}{\cos(\sin^{-1}u)} = dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{1 + u}}{\cos(\sin^{-1}u)} du[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook