Integrating √(1+sin x) - Calculus II

In summary: I'm not sure whether it helps, remember a similar looking integral and though it might be worth a go... sorry ;(so if you bought up to here, you're on your own)In summary, the integrator is trying to integrate d(sin x)/dx, but is missing the cos(x) term. The symmetry of the sin and cos functions around pi/2 allows for a simpler re-write of the integral.
Bachelier
How would you integrate this. I tried all integration methods available in Calculus II to no avail.

∫√(1+sin x) dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try u = sinx? That should give you something easy to work with.

Bohrok said:
Did you try u = sinx? That should give you something easy to work with.

I tried but d(sin x)/dx is cos x. We're missing the cos(x) here. :)

is this indefinite or does it have limits? if there is limits you may be able to use the symmetry with cos to simplify things

lanedance said:
is this indefinite or does it have limits? if there is limits you may be able to use the symmetry with cos to simplify things

It has limits [0,∏]. I know the cosine is a symmetrical function, but could you please expand a little on your symmetry argument in solving this integral.
thank you

well if you draw the sin and cos functions, you might be able to convince yourself that (could also do it by hand using pi/2 funtion shifts & negative angles):

based on symmetry of the sin function around pi/2
[tex] \int_0^{\pi} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = 2 \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}}[/tex]

and based on symmetry of the sin & cos functions on the interval [0,pi/2]
[tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}[/tex]

so you could re-write the integral as
[tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx (\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}) [/tex]

unfortunately after all that, I'm not sure whether it helps, remember a similar looking integral and though it might be worth a go... sorry ;(

Last edited:
so if you bought up to here
[tex] \int_0^{\pi} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin(x)}} = 2 \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}[/tex]

how about using half angle
[tex] cos(x) = 2cos^2(x/2)-1 [/tex]

then
[tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+cos(x)}}= \int_0^{\pi/2} dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} cos(x/2)}[/tex]

which is getting maybe a little more tractable...?

I hadn't looked at it too closely at first, but this one is a little tricky where you need another subtle substitution:

[tex]\int \sqrt{1 + sinx} ~dx[/tex]
u = sinx → x = sin-1u

du = cosx dx

[tex]\frac{du}{\cos(\sin^{-1}u)} = dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{1 + u}}{\cos(\sin^{-1}u)} du[/tex]

1. What is the formula for integrating √(1+sin x)?

The formula for integrating √(1+sin x) is ∫√(1+sin x) dx = 2√(cos x + 1) + C.

2. How do you solve integrals involving √(1+sin x)?

To solve integrals involving √(1+sin x), you can use the substitution method, where you substitute u = sin x and du = cos x dx. This will result in the integral becoming ∫√(1+u) du, which can be solved using the power rule.

3. Can the integral of √(1+sin x) be evaluated using basic integration techniques?

No, the integral of √(1+sin x) cannot be evaluated using basic integration techniques. It requires the use of substitution and the power rule to solve.

4. What is the domain of integration for √(1+sin x)?

The domain of integration for √(1+sin x) is all real numbers, as the function is defined for all values of x.

5. Are there any applications of integrating √(1+sin x) in real life?

Yes, there are several real life applications of integrating √(1+sin x). One example is in physics, where this integral can be used to calculate the arc length of a curved path. It can also be used in engineering to determine the work done by a force over a curved path.