Hard Laurent series. A little lost.

In summary: However, it is generally acceptable to write it as a single infinite sum with a clear pattern. In summary, the Laurent series for (z+2)/(z^5-8z^2) in the annulus 2<|z|<\infty is given by the infinite sum from n=3 to infinity of 2^n/z^(n+4) - the infinite sum from n=3 to infinity of 2^(3n+2)/z^(3n+6). This can also be written as a single infinite sum with a clear pattern.
daoshay

Homework Statement

find the Laurent series for

[tex]\frac{z+2}{z^{5}-8z^{2}}[/tex] in 2<|z|<[tex]\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I factored out z[tex]^{5}[/tex] in the denominator, which left me with a geometric sum (since |z|>2). I've come up with [tex]\frac{z+2}{z^{5}}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{8}{z^{3}}[/tex][tex]^{n}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction, but if I am, could someone please give me a hint at what to look at next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. Just multiply out and collect terms now.

When you say multiply out and collect terms, do you mean I need to write it out as:

8(z+2)/z^8 + 8^2(z+2)/z^11 + ... (tried to type it in latex, but it calculated it back to f(z)... impressive!)

and that is the Laurent series?

You need to multiply it out completely so you're just left with a constant times a power of z for each term.

I think I've got it.

Sum from n=3 -> infinity of 2^n/z^(n+4) - Sum from n=3 -> infinity of 2^(3n+2)/z^(3n+6)

because when I multiply and combine terms I get 2^3/z^7+2^4/z^8+2^6/z^10+2^7/z^11+...

I'm sorry about my format, latex is too smart for me.

Now that I've got the infinite sum, should I write it out as the difference of two summations? Or is it typically acceptable to write it out as the sum of terms with a clear pattern? I will go and ask my professor about his preferred notation anyhow.

It's a judgment call, so asking your professor is a good idea in case he or she wants it expressed in a certain way.

1. What is a Hard Laurent series?

A Hard Laurent series is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to represent functions with singularities, or points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. It is a way of expanding a function in terms of negative powers of a complex variable.

2. How is a Hard Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series represents a function as an infinite sum of positive powers of a complex variable, while a Hard Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. It is used for functions that have singularities or poles, while a Taylor series is used for functions that are analytic throughout the complex plane.

3. Can a Hard Laurent series converge?

Yes, a Hard Laurent series can converge under certain conditions. For a function to have a convergent Laurent series, it must have a finite number of poles within the region of convergence and the function must be analytic in the region between the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus of convergence.

4. How is the region of convergence determined for a Hard Laurent series?

The region of convergence for a Hard Laurent series is determined by the location of the function's singularities, or poles, in the complex plane. The inner boundary of the annulus of convergence is the distance from the origin to the nearest pole, while the outer boundary is the distance to the furthest pole.

5. What is the purpose of using a Hard Laurent series?

A Hard Laurent series allows us to study the behavior of functions near their singularities, which can provide insights into the overall behavior of the function. It is also useful for solving differential equations and other problems in physics and engineering that involve complex functions.