1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hard Laurent series. A little lost.

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the Laurent series for

[tex]\frac{z+2}{z^{5}-8z^{2}}[/tex] in 2<|z|<[tex]\infty[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I factored out z[tex]^{5}[/tex] in the denominator, which left me with a geometric sum (since |z|>2). I've come up with [tex]\frac{z+2}{z^{5}}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{8}{z^{3}}[/tex][tex]^{n}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction, but if I am, could someone please give me a hint at what to look at next.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good so far. Just multiply out and collect terms now.

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    When you say multiply out and collect terms, do you mean I need to write it out as:

8(z+2)/z^8 + 8^2(z+2)/z^11 + .... (tried to type it in latex, but it calculated it back to f(z)... impressive!)

and that is the Laurent series?

5. May 9, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to multiply it out completely so you're just left with a constant times a power of z for each term.

6. May 10, 2010 #5
    I think I've got it.

Sum from n=3 -> infinity of 2^n/z^(n+4) - Sum from n=3 -> infinity of 2^(3n+2)/z^(3n+6)

because when I multiply and combine terms I get 2^3/z^7+2^4/z^8+2^6/z^10+2^7/z^11+...

I'm sorry about my format, latex is too smart for me.

7. May 10, 2010 #6
    Now that I've got the infinite sum, should I write it out as the difference of two summations? Or is it typically acceptable to write it out as the sum of terms with a clear pattern? I will go and ask my professor about his preferred notation anyhow.

8. May 10, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's a judgment call, so asking your professor is a good idea in case he or she wants it expressed in a certain way.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook