mfb said:
The slowdown of Earth is negligible for any reasonable mass lifted with a space elevator.
Not if you want to to go to arbitrarily high kinetic energy as per your previous posts.
Right. You certainly do not want that to happen, and stop the device if the days become too long. The geostationary orbit will move upwards a bit.
If, however, you return mass by the same route, you can recover the lost energy.
If they keep stationary relative to the rotating cylinder (and their mass is small compared to the cylinder), this is true. If they are in free fall, it is wrong. Conclusion: You need a space elevator as rotating "floor", otherwise it will not work.
You have to modify the equation for an elevator frame that is not classically rigid. It will flex as the mass travels up.
In general you don't expect the beanstalk-type elevator to be rigid ... or even to go up strictly radially. From Earth, carbon-nanofibers are not strong enough ... though I have seen calculations that make such a thing more feasible for, say, Mars.
We often neglect small reaction in our calculations - eg. when we jump, we neglect the recoil of the earth. The trouble comes when doing the same for large distances and energies. I'm not so much concerned about your ideas but that someone less versed in physics will read what you have written and think "Wow: free energy!" I seem to attract people so this is a kind of self defense ;)
The last set of calculations I saw had a space elevator go twice the distance to geostationary ... 71,400km. I couldn't help thinking of tidal drag... and what would happen if it broke! I have
Endless Frontier VolII, Jerry Pournelle (ed). as a lay-accessible optimistic take on the possibilities.