Heat and internal energy of gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
akoma714
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
One mole of an ideal diatomic gas at room temperature undergoes a transition from a to c along the diagonal path in Figure 19-23.
hrw7_19-23.gif

(a) During the transition, what is the change in internal energy of the gas?
-4987 J
(b) How much energy is added to the gas as heat?
____ J
(c) How much heat is required if the gas goes from a to c along the indirect path abc?
5013 J

I got part a and c right. I found the energies for path abc and added them together, because I couldn't find a way with path ac. Does the path I took matter for the heat? How do I find it using path ac?
 
Attachments
  • hrw7_19-23.gif
    hrw7_19-23.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 658
Physics news on Phys.org
For path ac, ##\Delta (PV)=nR\Delta T$=-2000J##. The change in internal energy is ##\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=n\frac{5}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{5}{2}(-2000)=-5000J##

The work in going from a to c is ##\int{PdV}=7000J##, so from the first law, ##Q=\Delta U+W=-5000+7000=2000J##

Along path ab, the expansion is at constant pressure, so ##Q=\Delta H=nC_p\delta T=n\frac{7}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{7}{2}\Delta (PV)=10000=35000J##

Along path bc, the change is at constant volume, so ##Q=nC_v\Delta T=n\frac{5}{2}R\Delta T=\frac{5}{2}\Delta (PV)=\frac{5}{2}(-12000)=-30000J##

So the heat added along path abc is Q = (35000)-(30000)=5000J

So the heat added along path abc is different from that for the direct path ac. Of course, this confirms that heat added is a function of path.