Heat Transfer, Finite difference, Curved geometry

In summary, the problem involves calculating the heat flux into a 3D object with a curved and rectangular section. It asks for the heat transfer per unit depth into the page, which can be determined by considering the temperature gradient along radial and horizontal lines and matching the temperatures at the interfaces.
MechEngrStdnt

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 9.25.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 9.25.10 PM.png

Homework Equations

I could really use a push on how to approach this problem. My primary problem is it asks for the heat flux into the page, which makes no sense to me as that is the z direction and this is in the x/y plane. If anyone could explain this problem and maybe give me a push in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
MechEngrStdnt said:
My primary problem is it asks for the heat flux into the page,

It asks for "heat transfer per unit depth into the page". I interpret the diagram as a cross section of a 3D object. The greater the depth into the the page of the object, the more heat (per unit time) the 3D object can transfer between the two adiabatic surfaces because the surfaces have an area that depends on the depth of the object into the page.

The flux involves the transfer of heat between the surfaces "across the page".

They want you to assume that the temperature is constant along all radial lines in the curved section, and is also constant along all horizontal lines in the rectangular section. So, in the curved section, the temperature gradient is ##\frac{1}{r}\frac{dT}{d\phi}## and, in the rectangular section, the temperature gradient is ##\frac{dT}{dy}##. The temperatures are to match at the interfaces of the subdomains. So, in the curved section, the heat flow rate is given by $$Q=-w\frac{dT}{d\phi}\int_{r_0}^{r_0+\Delta r}{\frac{dr}{r}}$$where w is the depth into the page. I leave it up to you to do the rectangular section, and to combine the two sections.

Last edited:

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is finite difference?

Finite difference is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to differential equations. It involves dividing a continuous domain into smaller discrete regions and using a set of equations to calculate the values at each point based on neighboring points.

3. How is curved geometry applied in heat transfer?

Curved geometry is commonly encountered in heat transfer problems, especially in situations involving heat exchangers or heat transfer through pipes. In these cases, the curved shape of the objects must be taken into account when solving for heat transfer rates and temperatures.

4. What are the limitations of finite difference in heat transfer analysis?

Finite difference methods are limited by the accuracy of the approximation and the number of points used to discretize the domain. They may also struggle with problems involving complex geometries or rapidly changing boundary conditions.

5. How can finite difference be used to model transient heat transfer?

Finite difference can be used to model transient heat transfer by dividing the domain into small time steps and solving for the temperature distribution at each step. This allows for the analysis of how temperature changes over time, which is important in many practical heat transfer problems.