Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer of Horizontal Closed Loop Systems

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1

NSX

Does anyone know where I can find the governing equations on the heat transfer of a horizontal, closed loop system?

e.g. http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/images/closed_loop_system_horiz.gif

I've tried searching online, and all I can find is the general overview, no equations :frown:

In particular, I know that the Nusselt Number is some function of the Reynolds and Dean Numbers in this case -- what it is exactly I have no idea.

Can anyone recommend any articles, textbooks, anything?!

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The linked image is that of geothermal system.

The standard text on heat transfer is -
    Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer (Hardcover)
    by Frank P. Incropera, David P. DeWitt, Theodore L. Bergman, Adrienne S. Lavine
    John Wiley & Sons

Here is one example of heat transfer -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer_coefficient

Detailed thermal analysis would require a FEM-based heat transfer computational package such as COMSOL or CFX.

One could perhaps develop a simple lumped-parameter model if one new the general heat transfer properties of the system, i.e. hot and cold side temperatures, properties of the heat transfer fluid, ground and heat exchangers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

NSX

Thanks for the help.
    That's actually what I was planning to do, using the LMTD method and a 2D approximation.
    I have the Introduction to Heat Transfer of the book you mentioned, and it wasn't a help. I will read into the version you suggested.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?