Heat Transfer of Horizontal Closed Loop Systems

In summary, the geothermal system has a lot of equations that need to be solved in order to understand how heat is transferred.
NSX
Does anyone know where I can find the governing equations on the heat transfer of a horizontal, closed loop system?

e.g. http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/images/closed_loop_system_horiz.gif

I've tried searching online, and all I can find is the general overview, no equations :frown:

In particular, I know that the Nusselt Number is some function of the Reynolds and Dean Numbers in this case -- what it is exactly I have no idea.

Can anyone recommend any articles, textbooks, anything?!

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The linked image is that of geothermal system.

The standard text on heat transfer is -
Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer (Hardcover)
by Frank P. Incropera, David P. DeWitt, Theodore L. Bergman, Adrienne S. Lavine
John Wiley & Sons

Here is one example of heat transfer -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer_coefficient

Detailed thermal analysis would require a FEM-based heat transfer computational package such as COMSOL or CFX.

One could perhaps develop a simple lumped-parameter model if one new the general heat transfer properties of the system, i.e. hot and cold side temperatures, properties of the heat transfer fluid, ground and heat exchangers.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The linked image is that of geothermal system.

The standard text on heat transfer is -
Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer (Hardcover)
by Frank P. Incropera, David P. DeWitt, Theodore L. Bergman, Adrienne S. Lavine
John Wiley & Sons

Here is one example of heat transfer -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer_coefficient

Detailed thermal analysis would require a FEM-based heat transfer computational package such as COMSOL or CFX.

One could perhaps develop a simple lumped-parameter model if one new the general heat transfer properties of the system, i.e. hot and cold side temperatures, properties of the heat transfer fluid, ground and heat exchangers.

Thanks for the help.
That's actually what I was planning to do, using the LMTD method and a 2D approximation.
I have the Introduction to Heat Transfer of the book you mentioned, and it wasn't a help. I will read into the version you suggested.

Thanks

1. What is a horizontal closed loop system?

A horizontal closed loop system is a type of geothermal heat pump system that circulates a fluid through a series of pipes buried horizontally underground. This fluid absorbs heat from the ground and transfers it into the building for heating, or removes heat from the building and transfers it into the ground for cooling.

2. How does heat transfer occur in a horizontal closed loop system?

Heat transfer occurs in a horizontal closed loop system through a process called conduction. The fluid circulating through the pipes absorbs heat from the ground through direct contact, and then transfers that heat into the building through a heat exchanger. In cooling mode, the process is reversed and heat is removed from the building and transferred into the ground.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a horizontal closed loop system?

The efficiency of a horizontal closed loop system is affected by several factors, including the type of soil in the area, the depth and length of the pipes, and the temperature of the ground. Other factors such as the size and insulation of the building, as well as the efficiency of the heat pump itself, can also impact the overall efficiency of the system.

4. Are there any maintenance requirements for a horizontal closed loop system?

Yes, like any other heating and cooling system, a horizontal closed loop system requires regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance. This may include flushing the pipes to remove any buildup or debris, checking the fluid levels and quality, and inspecting the heat pump for any potential issues. It is recommended to have a professional perform maintenance on the system every 3-5 years.

5. How does the cost of a horizontal closed loop system compare to other heating and cooling systems?

The initial cost of a horizontal closed loop system may be higher than traditional heating and cooling systems, but it is important to consider the long-term savings on energy costs. Since the system uses the consistent temperature of the ground, it is more energy-efficient and can result in significant savings over time. Additionally, many areas offer incentives or tax credits for installing geothermal systems, which can help offset the initial cost.