Help with Conics: Change General Form to Standard Form

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with changing the general form of a conic to standard form. They are struggling with factoring and completing the square. They provide an example problem and their attempts at solving it. Other participants in the conversation offer suggestions and tips on how to properly factor and complete the square. The final answer is (x+3)^2/2 + (y-1)^2/4 = 1.
ms. confused
Ok I seem to be having problems with changing the general form of a conic to standard form. I'm mainly confused with how to factor, since I haven't done it in a while, as well as how to go about completing the square.

Here's one of my problems:

2x^2 + y^2 + 12x – 2y + 15=0

I rearranged it to look like: 2x^2 + 12x + y^2 – 2y + 15=0

Then I "supposedly" completed the square:

(2x^2 + 12x +36) + (y^2 – 2y +1)= 22

Factoring is where I got stuck: 2(x^2 + 6x +18) + (y-1)^2= 22

I don't know what to do with what I got and the answer is supposed to be:

(x+3)^2 / 2 + (y-1)^2 / 4 = 1

Physics news on Phys.org
(2x^2 + 12x +36)

Your problem is that this isn't a square! (Though, x^2 + 12x + 36 is) Your problem is you need to factor out the two first, so that the coefficient on x^2 is a 1.

I did that and I got 2(x^2 + 6x +18).

1. 2x^2 + 12x + 18 which is equivalent to 2(x+3)(x+3) + y^2 - 2y + 1 which is equivalnt to (y-1)(y-1) = -15 + 18 +1
2. Your equation is 2(x+3)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 4
3. Divide each side by 4. Now you have:
2(x+3)^2/4 + (y-1)^2/4 = 4/4
4. Now, your final product is:
(x+3)^2/2 + (y-1)^2/4 = 1

Is that the needed answer?

You need to factor before you figure out the constant term. You picked 36, then factored, which is the wrong way around.

How did you get 2x^2 + 12x + 18? I got 2x^2 + 12x + 36.

All you know is 2x^2 + 12x + ?.

Factor out the two to make it easy.

Now you have 2(x^2 +6x + ?)

Then you can fill in the square by making it 2(x^2 + 6x + 9) or 2(x+3)^2

This should give you 2x^2 + 12x + 18.

I hope I'm doing this right...

If you know the answer,then u can cheat:
1.Make in the initial quadratic form the 2 substitutions
[tex] x\rightarrow u-3 [/tex]
[tex] v\rightarrow v+1 [/tex]

2.Show that the new quadratic form is
[tex] \frac{u^{2}}{2}+\frac{v^{2}}{4}=1 [/tex]

3.Reverse the substitution and find the answer.

Daniel.

Oh I see! Thanks for the help guys!

1. What is a conic section?

A conic section is a shape formed by the intersection of a plane with a cone. It can take the form of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola.

2. Why do we need to change the general form of a conic to standard form?

Changing the general form of a conic to standard form allows us to easily identify the key characteristics of the conic, such as its center, vertices, and foci. It also makes it easier to graph the conic and solve equations involving it.

3. What is the process for changing the general form of a conic to standard form?

The process involves completing the square for both the x and y terms in the general form. This will result in an equation in the form (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the conic and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes.

4. Can you provide an example of changing a general form conic to standard form?

Sure, let's take the general form equation 9x^2 - 4y^2 + 36x + 24y + 68 = 0. First, we group the x and y terms together and complete the square for each: 9(x^2 + 4x) - 4(y^2 - 6y) = -68. Then, we add the necessary constants inside the parentheses to complete the square: 9(x^2 + 4x + 4) - 4(y^2 - 6y + 9) = -68 + 36 - 36. Simplifying, we get: 9(x + 2)^2 - 4(y - 3)^2 = -68. Finally, we divide both sides by the constant on the right to get the equation in standard form: (x+2)^2/8 - (y-3)^2/17 = 1. This conic is an ellipse with center at (-2,3) and semi-major and semi-minor axes of length √8 and √17, respectively.

5. Can the process for changing the general form of a conic to standard form be applied to all conic sections?

Yes, the process can be applied to all conic sections, including circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. However, the resulting standard form equation may look different depending on the type of conic section.