Help Solving Entropy Problem: Part A-D

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary: I'm not sure what the problem is asking for. I'm sorry, I don't know how to do this.In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving an ice cube melting on a kitchen table. The first part of the problem asked for the change in entropy of the ice cube as it melted, which was found to be 0. The second part calculated the change in entropy of the water as it rose in temperature, which was found to be 11.0 J/K. The third and fourth parts of the problem asked for the change in entropy of the kitchen and the net change in entropy of the universe, but the person asking for help was unsure how to do these calculations.
jlmac2001
I need help finishing this problem. I did part A and B but don’t know how to do C and D. I don’t know if A and B are correct.

Problem: An ice cube (mass 30g) at 0 degrees Celsius left sitting on the kitchen table where it gradually melts. The temperature in the kitchen is 25 degrees Celsius.

A. Calculate the change in the entropy of the ice cube as it melts into water at 0 degrees Celsius. (Don’t worry about the fact that the volume changes somewhat).

Answer:
C=Q/delta T Q= 30 cal/K or 126 J/K so C = 126 J/K / 0 degrees Celsius = 0 so delta S= 0 (this is the entropy)

B. Calculate the change in the entropy of the water (from the melted ice) as its temperature rises from 0 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius.

Answer:
Delta S = Sf -Si= (integral from Ti to Tf) Cv/T dT= 126 J/K (integral from 273K to 298K) 1/T dT = (126J/K) ln (298/273) = 11.0 J/K

C. Calculate the change in the entropy of the kitchen as it gives up heat to the melting ice/water. (How would I do this one?)

D. Calculate the net change in the entropy of the universe during this process. Is the net change positive, negative or zero? Is this what you would expect? (Need help with this one also, Please!)

Physics news on Phys.org
will someone help please?

I just need someone to help me. It's due tomorrow. Please

thanks for not helping me

SorryI asked for help.

Related to Help Solving Entropy Problem: Part A-D

1. What is entropy and why is it important?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In science, it is used to describe the amount of energy in a system that is unavailable to do work. It is important because it helps us understand the direction and efficiency of processes, such as chemical reactions, and plays a crucial role in thermodynamics and information theory.

2. What is the formula for calculating entropy?

The formula for calculating entropy is S = kB ln W, where S is the entropy, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates in a system. This formula is used to determine the change in entropy in a system.

3. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, or at best, remain constant. This means that the universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. Entropy is a measure of this disorder and the second law of thermodynamics helps us understand the direction of natural processes.

4. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In closed systems, entropy can only increase or remain constant, never decrease. However, in open systems, energy can be added or removed to decrease entropy in a specific area or process. This is how living organisms are able to maintain low entropy within their bodies while the surrounding environment increases in entropy.

5. How can entropy be used to solve problems?

Entropy can be used to solve problems in a variety of scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. By understanding the direction and efficiency of processes, scientists can predict the behavior of systems and make informed decisions. Entropy is also a key factor in understanding the sustainability of natural systems and the impact of human activities on the environment.