Why is the 2pz orbital antibonding at k=0 in a fluorine chain band diagram?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Werner Rontgen
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi everyone, I am trying to construct qualitative band diagrams and I think I have confused myself. I am not sure on how to figure out what the electron configurations are of the orbitals when k=0. I get that at k=π/2 it is the opposite state but I can't seem to figure out how to get the initial state. The problem I am working on is an infinite Florine chain at the moment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know it has 4 bands due to it's four orbitals but I can't figure out why at k=0 the 2pz orbital is antibonding. Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?