Help with a functions question

• Thread starter gaganpreetsingh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, after exploring the conditions given, it has been determined that there are no continuous or differentiable functions f(x) defined for all real numbers x and taking real numbers as their values that satisfy the equation f(x) + f(1-x) = x^2 - 1. This is due to a contradiction that arises when solving for the values of f(0) and f(1).
gaganpreetsingh
Determine all functions f(x) defined for all real numbers x and taking real numbers as their values such that
f(x) + f(1-x) = x^2 - 1

If i replace x by 1-x i get the same LHS and if i equate them i get x=0.5. What I need to do more is what i don't know.
Please advise

PS sorry if i used the wrong group.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is f supposed to be continuous? Differentiable?

Anyways, one thing I often do with these types of problems is to figure out if I know what any of its values have to be. Then, I'll see how many values of the function I can express in terms of one particular point. E.G. I'll try to express everything I can in terms of, say, f(0), or maybe f(a) (where I let a be an unspecified constant)

I copied the question as it is.

Something seems wrong:

0 = 1² - 1 = f(1) + f(1-1) = f(1) + f(0) = f(0) + f(1) = f(0) + f(1-0) = 0² - 1 = -1

so 0 = -1. In general, for all real r:

2r
= (r² + r - 0.75) - (r² - r - 0.75)
= [(0.5 + r)² - 1] - [(0.5 - r)² - 1]
= [f(0.5 + r) + f(1 - (0.5 + r))] - [f(0.5 - r) + f(1 - (0.5 - r))]
= [f(0.5 + r) + f(0.5 - r)] - [f(0.5 - r) + f(0.5 + r)]
= f(0.5 + r) + f(0.5 - r) - f(0.5 - r) - f(0.5 + r)
= 0

so for all real r, 2r = 0, i.e. r = 0. This is clearly a contradiction (not every real number is zero) so there are no functions f whose domain is all of the reals and satisfy, for each x in the reals:

f(x) + f(1-x) = x² - 1

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that represents the relationship between an input and an output. It takes in an input, performs a specific operation or calculation, and produces an output.

2. How do I define a function?

To define a function, you need to use the keyword "function" followed by the function name and parentheses. Inside the parentheses, you can specify any parameters or inputs that the function will take. After the parentheses, you use curly brackets to enclose the code that will be executed when the function is called.

3. What is the difference between a parameter and an argument?

A parameter is a variable or value that is used in a function definition to represent an input. An argument is an actual value or variable that is passed into a function when it is called. Essentially, parameters are used in the function definition, while arguments are used when calling the function.

4. How do I call a function?

To call a function, you need to use the function name followed by parentheses. Inside the parentheses, you can pass in any arguments or inputs required by the function. The function will then execute the code inside its curly brackets and return the result.

5. Can a function return multiple values?

Yes, a function can return multiple values by using an array or object to store the values and then returning that array or object. Alternatively, you can also use the "arguments" keyword to return all the arguments passed into the function as an array.