1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with Electric Fields

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a laboratory, a particle of charge -6C is held stationary because it is placed in an electric field E=(0,0,-15)N/C which suspends it against gravity. What is the mass of the particle? Give answer in kg.

2. Relevant equations
    I THINK
    E= F/q
    F= ma or F= G m1 m2 / r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I haven't actually had a chance to attempt this yet because A) I don't understand the notation of E in this equation, so I don't know if it is acceptable to just use -15 for E, and B) if I even have the right equations to use, I don't know what the acceleration is or how to use the second equation. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem states "... which suspends it against gravity." This mens that the particle is not moving. What is its acceleration then? How many forces act on the particle, in what directions do they point and how are their magnitudes related?

Note: Use mg for the force of gravity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook