Help with Simple Pendulum Physics Homework

In summary, the student is seeking help with their physics homework and has solved the approximation of the differential equation for a pendulum. They are now trying to find the period and amplitude of the solution in terms of A and B. They also have additional questions about finding the tension of the string and the meaning of certain variables in the equation. They thank the experts for their assistance and provide initial conditions for the problem.
juef
Hey all,

I'm a math students, and I've got physics homeworks to do, and... I need some help :smile:

To make it short, I solved the approximation of the differential equation of the angle of a pendulum in function of time, and I got this:

[tex] \theta(t)=\frac{B\sqrt{L}sin(\frac{t\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{L}})}{\sqrt{g}}+Acos(\frac{t\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{L}}) [/tex]

Up to now it's pretty ok, but now I'm asked to find the period (is that word right?) and amplitude of this solution in function of A and B. Since I have absolutely no idea what these could be, I'm now asking you :biggrin:

Oh, and a few more little things...
How can I find the tension of the string in such a pendulum?
What do x''(t) and y''(t) represent in this situation? The horizontal and vertical accelerations perhaps?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
juef said:
Hey all,

I'm a math students, and I've got physics homeworks to do, and... I need some help :smile:

To make it short, I solved the approximation of the differential equation of the angle of a pendulum in function of time, and I got this:

[tex] \theta(t)=\frac{B\sqrt{L}sin(\frac{t\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{L}})}{\sqrt{g}}+Acos(\frac{t\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{L}}) [/tex]

Up to now it's pretty ok, but now I'm asked to find the period (is that word right?) and amplitude of this solution in function of A and B.
I am not sure how you got this. The differential equation is:

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = - \frac{g}{L}\theta[/tex]

The general solution is:

[tex]\theta(t) = Asin(\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}t})[/tex]

How can I find the tension of the string in such a pendulum?
The vertical compontent of the tension balances the weight of the pendulum mass. So [itex]Tcos\theta = mg[/itex]

AM

Not really,Andrew,it's,in the general case a combination of sine & cosine (small angles)...Initial conditions which make up the Cauchy problem (together with the ODE) decide the unique solution.

It's a custom to depict the angular frequency

[tex] \omega=:\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}} [/tex]

The period of oscillation is triavial to find.

Daniel.

Thank you both for your help! Yeah, the solution I got is different because there is possibly a value greater than zero for [tex]\theta'[/tex]. My initial conditions are: [tex]\theta(0)=A[/tex] and [tex]\theta'(0)=B[/tex]. I am asked to find the amplitude and period of oscillation in function of A and B...

Related to Help with Simple Pendulum Physics Homework

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight attached to a string or rod that is free to swing back and forth. It is used to demonstrate the principles of periodic motion and is often used in physics experiments.

2. How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(L/g) where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the period.

4. How does the angle of release affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The angle of release does not affect the period of a simple pendulum as long as the angle is small (less than 15 degrees). For larger angles, the period may vary slightly but it does not have a significant impact.

5. How is a simple pendulum used to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

A simple pendulum can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity by measuring the period of the pendulum and using the formula g=4π^2(L/T^2). By measuring the length and period of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated.