Hooke's Law: Find x (How much will the spring stretch)?

In summary, the two masses are pulled to the right by a force of 15N. The spring tension (T) is equal to the force (F) applied to the masses and the spring is stretched by 6dp.
Alice Saka

Homework Statement

| Mass 1: 2kg | -------- | Mass 2: 3kg | ----------> 15N
2 blocks are connected by a massless spring on a horizontal frictionless plane. The left block has a mass of 2kg and the right block has a mass of 3 kg. There is a force pulling Mass 2 to the right with a force of 15N.
Spring Constant = 130N/m

Homework Equations

Fspring = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I subbed in k into the equation.
Fspring = -130x
At this point I don't know what to do next. I've tried subbing 15N for Fspring but then I'll get a negative x value.
Am I missing another equation that I'm supposed to use or a value that I'm supposed to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let T be the tension in the spring (forget about T = kx for now). Draw a free body diagram on Mass 1, showing the forces acting on it. Draw a free body diagram on Mass 2, showing the forces acting on it. Write a force balance equation on Mass 1. Write a force balance equation on Mass 2. Show us what you get so far.

Chet

Likes Alice Saka
Chestermiller said:
Draw a free body diagram. Write a force balance equation.

So what I drew is basically both blocks having a downward force of mg and an upward force of N of equal magnitude as mg.
For Mass 1, I drew an arrow to the right as T (tension).
For Mass 2, I drew an arrow to the right as F (15N pulling the mass to he right) and an arrow to the left as T (tension of the spring pulling Mass 1)

For writing a force balance equation, sorry to disappoint, but I don't know where to start with that.
But I'm going to guess T (from Mass 1) = T (from Mass 2)

Alice Saka said:
So what I drew is basically both blocks having a downward force of mg and an upward force of N of equal magnitude.
For Mass 1, I drew an arrow to the right as T (tension).
For Mass 2, I drew an arrow to the right as F (15N pulling the mass to he right) and an arrow to the left as T (tension of the spring pulling Mass 1)

For writing a force balance equation, sorry to disappoint, but I don't know where to start with that.
Good job.

You basically have it. For each mass, now set the net force on it equal to the mass times its acceleration.

Chet

Likes Alice Saka
Chestermiller said:
For each mass, now set the net force on it equal to the mass times its acceleration.

Mass 1:
Fnet = ma
15 = 2a
a = 15/2
a = 7.5m/s2

Mass 2:
Fnet = ma
15 = 3a
a = 15/3
a = 5m/s2

Alice Saka said:
Mass 1:
Fnet = ma
15 = 2a
a = 15/2
a = 7.5m/s2

Mass 2:
Fnet = ma
15 = 3a
a = 15/3
a = 5m/s2
This is not correct. It is not consistent with the forces you identified in your previous post as acting on each of the masses.

This is what I was looking for:

##M_1a=T##

##M_2a=15-T##

(If the amount of stretch in the spring is constant, then the two masses have to be accelerating with the same acceleration a.)

What do you get if you add the above two equations together?

Chet

Likes Alice Saka
Chestermiller said:
The two masses have to be accelerating with the same acceleration a. What do you get if you add the above two equations together?

T = 15-T
2T = 15
T = 15/2
T = 7.5N

Alice Saka said:
T = 15-T
2T = 15
T = 15/2
T = 7.5N
No. Your algebra is not correct. Adding the two equations together gives:

##(M_1+M_2)a=15##

##a=3 m/s^2##

Substitute this value for a into either of the force balance equations to get T. What do you obtain? What does that give for the amount that the spring is stretched?

Chet

Likes Alice Saka
Chestermiller said:
Your algebra is not correct.
:nb) Sorry, argh, shouldn't get something so simple wrong! :nb)

Chestermiller said:
Substitute this value for a into either of the force balance equations to get T.
So I'm guessing T = Fnet
Fnet(m1) = ma
= 2*3
= 6N

Fnet(m2) = ma
= 3*3
= 9N

T = kx
Since Mass 2's forces are balanced (guessing here), I should use Fnet(m1).
6 = kx
6 = 130x
x = 6/130
x = 0.046 metres (3dp)

Cheers Chet :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that explains the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement of the spring.

2. How does Hooke's Law work?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its original position. This means that as the force increases, the displacement of the spring also increases.

3. What is the equation for Hooke's Law?

The equation for Hooke's Law is F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. This equation shows the direct relationship between force and displacement.

4. How do I find the value of x in Hooke's Law?

To find the value of x in Hooke's Law, you need to know the values of the force applied (F) and the spring constant (k). You can then rearrange the equation to solve for x: x = F/k. This will give you the displacement of the spring in units of length (such as meters or centimeters).

5. What factors can affect the value of x in Hooke's Law?

The value of x in Hooke's Law can be affected by several factors, such as the force applied, the spring constant, and the material and shape of the spring. Additionally, temperature and external forces (such as friction or air resistance) can also impact the value of x.