How Can Bernoulli's Principle Explain a Hovering Ping Pong Ball?

In summary, Tugberk is trying to find out how to find the dynamic pressure, but is having trouble because the density changes with velocity. He is assuming constant density, but finds that it is a tiny fraction of an atmosphere.
Tugberk
Hey everyone, this is my first post here, I hope this is a good place to put it. I take HL physics for my IB program and thinking of doing the EE on physics. I looked into Bernoulli's principle and thought this would be interesting. A good experiment is having a ping pong ball hover over a stream of air and see at what angle the ball falls off the stream. I then can change the velocity of the air which should change the pressure, ∴ changing the angle. My problem is that I don't know how to find the dynamic pressure because to find that, you need density, but density also changes with velocity and to find density you need pressure. So I'm stuck at this point and don't know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Tugberk! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Tugberk said:
… I don't know how to find the dynamic pressure because to find that, you need density, but density also changes with velocity and to find density you need pressure.

No, water is pretty nearly incompressible (at fixed temperature), so its density stays the same. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hey Tugberk! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No, water is pretty nearly incompressible (at fixed temperature), so its density stays the same. :wink:

That's good to know, but I'm using air and not water :/

oooh, sorry …

i saw the word "stream", and somehow it lodged in my mind as water :redface:

Under the conditions you are working with, the change in density should be very little. Solve your equations assuming constant density, and then, based on the changes in pressure you calculate, estimate the change in density. You will probably find that it will be a tiny fraction of an atmosphere, so that it can be neglected.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Under the conditions you are working with, the change in density should be very little. Solve your equations assuming constant density, and then, based on the changes in pressure you calculate, estimate the change in density. You will probably find that it will be a tiny fraction of an atmosphere, so that it can be neglected.

Chet

Oh ok, thanks for that! Now I can proceed :D

Related to How Can Bernoulli's Principle Explain a Hovering Ping Pong Ball?

1. What is a physics extended essay?

A physics extended essay is an in-depth research project that explores a specific topic in the field of physics. It is a required component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and is typically completed by students in their final year of high school.

2. How long should a physics extended essay be?

The length of a physics extended essay can vary, but it should typically be between 3,000 and 4,000 words. This includes the main body of the essay, but does not include the abstract, acknowledgements, or any appendices.

3. What are some good topics for a physics extended essay?

There are many potential topics for a physics extended essay, but some popular options include investigating the physics of sports, exploring the principles of electromagnetism, or studying the properties of light and optics. It is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and that allows for a suitable amount of research and experimentation.

4. What are the key components of a physics extended essay?

A physics extended essay should include an introduction that outlines the research question or hypothesis, a clear explanation of the methodology used, a detailed analysis of the data collected, and a conclusion that summarizes the findings and discusses their significance. It should also include appropriate references and citations throughout the essay.

5. How can I get help with my physics extended essay?

There are many resources available to help students with their physics extended essay. Your teacher or supervisor can provide guidance and support throughout the process, and there are also online resources, such as sample essays and tips for writing an effective extended essay. It is important to start early and seek help whenever needed to ensure the best possible outcome.