How Can I Design a Circuit to Counteract a Black Box Signal Alteration?

In summary, the conversation was about designing a circuit to reverse the effects of a "black box" on a signal. The circuit has a pole at 500rad/s, a zero at 2000rad/s, and a maximum phase shift of -37* at 950rad/s. It has a DC gain of 1 and a HF gain of ~0.25, and the input signal is a sine wave between 0 and 20k Hz. The speaker had initially designed a circuit using 1mH inductors and 741 op amps, but realized that they only had 100mH inductors available. They then discovered that they could use capacitors and redesigned the circuit with a non-inverting amplifier
samurye
I have to design a circuit that will undo the effects on a signal passed through a "black box". I have already determined that I have a pole at 500rad/s and a zero at 2000rad/s and a max phase shift of ~ -37* at ~950rad/s. It has a DC gain of 1 and a HF gain of ~0.25. The input signal is a sine wave of between 0 and 20k Hz. I have attached the gain and phase diagrams. We can only use 1mH inductors and 741 op amps but a range of resistors and caps are available.

I have designed a circuit (between the buffer amp to prevent loading and the inverting amp gain -1 to send it positive again) just using a simple inverting op amp circuit and a series combination of L and R for each the Zf and Zi that will undo this (same R, L in Zf 4* L in Zi), but the problem is that I thought I had much larger inductors (100mH) to work with. Doing it this way the ratio of R to L is only 2000:1, which gives values of R about 10 Ohms, less that the output impedence of the 741.

There has to be an easier way that is just eluding me! I have tried working out transfer functions for all manner of simple amps using just L and R values in the impedences that determine gain, but I'm comming to a dead end. Perhaps I need to use a voltage divider before the input to the amp? I've tried some of those too but still to no avail.

Help me please!

I've just found out that we can use capacitors and edited the post, now on to try again!

Attachments

• gain and phase of box.jpg
    gain and phase of box.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so with the availability of caps I have got what seems the perfect solution. I've got a non inverting amp with an Rf of 15k and a Zi consisting of a series 100nF cap and a 5k resistor. Solved! With an ideal op amp this seems perfect.

The only problem I can see is that when I run it in spice with the u741, there is an HF phase shift into the negative, crossing zero at about 10kHz. Our signal is bounded within DC and 20kHz so all I need to do is null the small phase shift that occurs between 10k and 20kHz.

Is there anything I can do to avoid changing the transfer function and the rest of the phase portrait that will just account for the HF phase shift?

Attachments

• phase shift 741.jpg
    phase shift 741.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 409

I understand the challenge you are facing in designing a circuit to undo the effects of a "black box" on a signal. Based on the information you have provided, it seems like you have already made some good progress in your design by using a simple inverting op amp circuit and a series combination of inductors and resistors. However, the limitation of only being able to use 1mH inductors and the DC gain of 1 may be causing some difficulties in achieving the desired results.

One suggestion I have is to explore using capacitors in your circuit design. Capacitors are often used in circuits to alter the frequency response and can be a useful tool in this situation. By introducing capacitors into your design, you may be able to achieve the desired frequency response and phase shift more effectively.

Another approach could be to use a combination of inductors and capacitors in your circuit design, known as a "Twin-T" or "bridged T" circuit. This type of circuit is commonly used for pre-emphasis and de-emphasis in audio applications and may be helpful in your situation.

Additionally, it may be helpful to simulate your circuit design using software such as SPICE to test different configurations and see how they affect the frequency response and phase shift. This can save time and resources in the design process.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track and with some adjustments and experimentation, you should be able to find a solution to your circuit design challenge. Keep exploring and don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance if needed.

1. What is a pre emphasis circuit?

A pre emphasis circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the strength of high frequency signals in an audio or video signal. It is commonly used in audio recording and broadcasting to improve the overall quality of the sound.

2. How does a pre emphasis circuit work?

A pre emphasis circuit works by amplifying high frequency signals before they are recorded or transmitted. This is achieved by using a high pass filter, which allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals. This results in a boost of high frequency signals, which can then be equalized during playback.

3. What are the benefits of using a pre emphasis circuit?

The use of a pre emphasis circuit can improve the overall clarity and quality of audio recordings by boosting high frequency signals. This can make the audio sound more natural and balanced, especially when played back on systems with limited frequency response.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a pre emphasis circuit?

One potential drawback of using a pre emphasis circuit is that it can introduce noise into the audio signal. This is because the high pass filter used in the circuit can amplify any existing noise in the high frequency range. Additionally, if the audio is played back on a system that does not have a matching de-emphasis circuit, the sound may be distorted.

5. How do I design a pre emphasis circuit?

Designing a pre emphasis circuit involves selecting the appropriate components, such as resistors and capacitors, to create the desired frequency response. It is important to consider the frequency range of the audio signal and choose components that will provide the desired amount of high frequency boost without introducing too much noise. It is also important to ensure that the pre emphasis circuit is compatible with any de-emphasis circuits that will be used during playback.