How can I design and make a 1750khz IF transformer

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding 1750khz intermediate transformers for an old tube project. The speaker suggests removing turns from a 455khz IF transformer to raise the frequency, but questions the effect on impedance. They mention the lack of information on making their own IF transformer and ask for help. Suggestions are given on using an oscillator transformer or creating tuned circuits with inductors and capacitors. The speaker also mentions the use of Litz wire and single-strand windings in IF transformers and expresses curiosity about the person's valve project.
Southern
I am in need of some 1750khz intermediate transformers for an old tube project. I can find a few 455khz but not 1750khz. Removing turns from a 455khz IF transformer would raise the frequency but what would that do to the impedance?

I thought I would be able to find quite a bit on the subject of rolling my own IF transformer either with a toroid or on a coil form but saw very little and find no 1750's listed for sale so I have to make my own.

I saw one 3 year old thread that asked the question but the thread was locked and no answer had been offered. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These IF transformers were never common, but, many years ago, you could just get an oscillator transformer from a AM band radio.
These cover a range 455 kHz above the received frequency, so they already covered 1750 kHz. You just needed a suitable capacitor to resonate them.

Now, all that is gone.

You could make some tuned circuits and resonate them if you have a signal generator.

You would make or buy some inductors then put a capacitor across each one and then ground one end of each tuned circuit. Then join the other ends with small value capacitors.

As a guide, 470 pF would resonate with 18 μH at 1750 kHz.

If you buy an inductor with an iron or ferrite core, the actual inductance will vary with frequency, so you would need to experiment with the capacitors.

Last edited:
What value capacitor does the 455kHz use in its IFTs? You might just be able to reduce it to get 1.75MHz.

I think the old valve receivers typically used Litz wire for their IFT's. It would be difficult to make a good joint if you remove some of that winding. Maybe poorer quality receivers might have used single-strand windings on the IFT core? (Does it need to withstand much voltage? If not, maybe a transistor radio might have single-strand windings on IFTs you could salvage and modify.)

I'm envious. What is your valve project?

1. How does an IF transformer work?

An IF (Intermediate Frequency) transformer is an electronic component that is used in radio and communication systems. Its main function is to select and amplify a specific frequency range, known as the intermediate frequency, from a larger range of incoming signals. It works by receiving the incoming signal and passing it through a series of inductors and capacitors, which create a resonant circuit that amplifies the desired frequency. The amplified signal is then sent to the next stage of the circuit.

2. What materials are used to make an IF transformer?

IF transformers are typically made with a ferrite core, which is a type of magnetic material that has high permeability and can easily be magnetized. The core is surrounded by a coil of copper wire, which acts as an inductor. The coil is then encased in a metal or plastic housing to protect it and provide a stable structure for the transformer.

3. How do I determine the required specifications for my 1750khz IF transformer?

The specifications for an IF transformer, such as the number of turns in the coil and the size of the core, are determined by the desired frequency and bandwidth. To design a 1750khz IF transformer, you will need to calculate the appropriate inductance and capacitance values using the frequency and bandwidth. You can also use online calculators or consult a professional to assist with the design process.

4. Can I make my own IF transformer at home?

Making an IF transformer at home requires a certain level of knowledge and skill in electronics. It also requires specific tools and materials, such as a ferrite core, copper wire, and a soldering iron. If you have the necessary equipment and knowledge, then it is possible to make your own IF transformer at home. However, it is recommended to seek professional assistance to ensure the transformer is properly designed and functional.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making an IF transformer?

When working with electronic components, it is always important to take safety precautions. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as safety goggles and gloves, when handling materials and tools. Also, be sure to follow proper procedures when soldering to avoid any accidents. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to have a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case. If you are unsure about any part of the process, it is best to seek professional help.