How can I linearize the equation for q/m in terms of V?

• Thread starter GodsChild086
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the Physics teacher did a demo with the CRT and then assigned a lab. The equation for q/m is 2V/B²r² and the equation for y is y=mx+b.
GodsChild086
Curve STRAIGHTENING...ARGH!

Yes, curve straightening...every high school student's favorite thing... :confused:

So in my Physics class, our teacher did a demo with the CRT (cathode ray tube) and then he assigned us with the lab exercise. Here are the components of what I'm supposed to include:

Here's the equation presented when Thomson discovered the charge to mass ratio of an electron:

v²/Br = q/m ; where: v = velocity (m/s)
B = magnetic field strength (T)
q = charge on electron (C)
m = mass (kg)
r = radius (m)

Challenge: Find the equation for q/m in terms of V.

Okay, this part I got.

Equations I used:

Ep=Ek
qV = 1/2mv² and the other equation used: v²/Br = q/m

Using the first question I solved for v²:

qV = 1/2mv² ; v² = 2qV/m

My next step taken:

V/Br = q/m ; q²/m² = v²/B²r²

q²/m² = 2qV/mB²r²

Here is the equation for q/m in terms of V:

q/m = 2V/B²r²

Then we played around with the cathode ray tube, and told us to make a chart. It's for each time he increases the diameter of the circle (beam of electrons), we record the voltage.

This is another challenge he set for us:

Write the equation so that q/m is the slope.

Here's what I did...I'm not sure if I linearized it right (bad grammar...English is not my first language, so I apologize for this).

So I started with this equation again:

q/m = 2V/B²r²

Equation for a straight line is: y = mx + b

In this case, I don't have a 'b', so it's just y = mx

My equation (to linearize) I came up with is:

y = mx

2V=(q/m)(B²r²) ; where: 2V is the 'y part'
(q/m) is the 'm part' (slope)
and (B²r²) is the 'x part'

After coming up with our equation, he said that make a new table of values. With our new table of values, he said to make a straight-line graph. So my question is (after going through all this mess of typing), is my table going to have a column for 2V and B²r²? As for the graph, is it going to be 2V vs. B²r²? (Where 2V is on the y-axis and B²r² is on the x axis)?

Physics news on Phys.org
GodsChild086 said:
So my question is (after going through all this mess of typing), is my table going to have a column for 2V and B²r²? As for the graph, is it going to be 2V vs. B²r²? (Where 2V is on the y-axis and B²r² is on the x axis)?

Well, in a word: yes.

You've already answered your own question haven't you?

GodsChild086 said:
y = mx

2V=(q/m)(B²r²) ; where: 2V is the 'y part'
(q/m) is the 'm part' (slope)
and (B²r²) is the 'x part'

I was just wondering if I did everything right...

That's all...cause it seemed complicated at first...

1. What is "Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH"?

Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH is a technique used in data analysis and modeling to transform curves into straight lines. It is often used in regression analysis to simplify the relationship between variables and make it easier to interpret the data.

2. How does Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH work?

Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH works by applying a mathematical transformation to the data, such as taking the logarithm or square root of the variables. This transformation helps to linearize the relationship between the variables, making it easier to identify patterns and trends.

3. When should I use Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH?

Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH is useful when there is a non-linear relationship between variables in a dataset. This can often occur in real-world data, and using this technique can help to uncover hidden relationships and insights.

4. Are there any limitations to using Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH?

While Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH can be a useful technique, it is important to note that it does not work for all datasets. In some cases, the transformation may not be appropriate or may not result in a linear relationship. It is always important to carefully consider the data and the goals of the analysis before using this technique.

5. Can Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH be used for any type of data?

Curve STRAIGHTENING ARGH can be used for a wide range of data types, including continuous, discrete, and categorical data. However, it is most commonly used for continuous data with a non-linear relationship between variables. It is always important to assess the data and determine if this technique is appropriate before using it in an analysis.