How can I plot a 3D vertical plane in Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to plot x+y=2 in 3D using Mathematica. The individual has encountered issues with the input being treated as a function of z and has not found a conclusive answer in a similar forum thread. The conversation also includes discussions about looking at documentation, understanding arguments and coordinates, and potentially using parametric plots as a solution.
SwaGGeReR
I'm trying to plot something like x+y=2 in 3D. The image should look like this:

h1jnw.png

Been trying to do it in Mathematica using Plot3D, but the it treats the input as a function of z.

Another example: Plot3D[x=4,{x,0,10},{y,0,10},AxesLabel{x,y,z}] plots z=4, not x=4.

A similar thread, with no conclusive answer: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=101840

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SwaGGeReR said:
I'm trying to plot something like x+y=2 in 3D. The image should look like this:

h1jnw.png

Been trying to do it in Mathematica using Plot3D, but the it treats the input as a function of z.

Another example: Plot3D[x=4,{x,0,10},{y,0,10},AxesLabel{x,y,z}] plots z=4, not x=4.

A similar thread, with no conclusive answer: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=101840

Hey SwaGGeReR and welcome to the forums.

Have you looked at the documentation?

Also what do the arguments mean for the function? What does {x,0,10} refer to? Are they just bounds for the variables?

The other thing is what is the default coordinate system for Mathematica? Is it RHS? LHS? Does the z-axis point up? (In many math programs it does and in many maths courses they treat z as pointed up and not in or out of the page).

I'm not familiar with Mathematica but maybe it is like Maple. Can you plot surfaces as parametric plots? If so, you could use the parameterization:

x = x
y = 2 - x
z = z
##\vec R(x,z) =\langle x, 2-x,z\rangle## and plot it using whatever syntax Mathematica requires.

Related to How can I plot a 3D vertical plane in Mathematica?

1. How do I plot a 3D vertical plane?

To plot a 3D vertical plane, you will need to have three points that will define the plane. These points should not be collinear and should be in the form of (x,y,z). Once you have these points, you can use a 3D plotting software or programming language such as MATLAB or Python to plot the plane.

2. What is the equation of a 3D vertical plane?

The equation of a 3D vertical plane can be written in the form of Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, respectively. D represents the constant term and determines the distance of the plane from the origin.

3. How can I visualize a 3D vertical plane?

To visualize a 3D vertical plane, you can use a 3D plotting software or programming language to create a 3D graph with the plane plotted as a surface. You can also use the equation of the plane to plot it in a 3D coordinate system or use a 3D modeling software to create a visual representation of the plane.

4. Can I plot multiple 3D vertical planes in the same graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple 3D vertical planes in the same graph. You will need to have the equations or coordinates of each plane and use a 3D plotting software or programming language to plot them together. This can be useful for comparing and analyzing multiple planes at once.

5. How can I use 3D vertical planes in my research or experiments?

3D vertical planes can be useful in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and geology. They can be used to visualize and analyze data, create models for simulations, and represent physical objects or phenomena. They can also be used in experiments to study the behavior of objects or substances in a particular plane.