How can I solve the Trigonometric First Order DE \frac{dx}{dt} = \cos(x+t)?

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to solve the equation \frac{dx}{dt} = \cos(x+t) through substitution and using trigonometric identities, but ultimately concludes that it is not possible to explicitly solve for x(t) or t(x) due to the intertwined nature of x and t in the equation.
Matuku
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \cos(x+t) [/tex]

I'm having real troubles with this; I tried a substitution of [tex]u=x+t[/tex] but it just ends up as,

[tex]t=\tan{u} + \csc{u} + C[/tex]

And I can't see where to go from there. (the middle function is cosec; it didn't come out very clearly on my screen).

Physics news on Phys.org
I keep getting t=csc(u)-cot(u)+C. You could then put u=x+t. But I don't think you can go much further than that as far as explicitly solving for x(t). It looks like kind of a mess.

You're right, it is -cot(u) rather than tan(u); don't know where I got that from. But you don't believe there's anyway to get it into a form x(t) [or even t(x)]?

Last edited:
I don't think so. You can try expressing everything in terms of sin and cos and then apply the addition formulas and hope things magically sort out. But it looks to me like x and t are pretty thoroughly mixed up.

Dick said:
I don't think so. You can try expressing everything in terms of sin and cos and then apply the addition formulas and hope things magically sort out. But it looks to me like x and t are pretty thoroughly mixed up.

That was my thought, too, looking at dx/dt = cos(x + t). I tried the cosine sum formula but didn't find any magic there. cos(x + t) apparently has x and t inextricably twined.

Related to How can I solve the Trigonometric First Order DE \frac{dx}{dt} = \cos(x+t)?

1. What is a trigonometric first order differential equation?

A trigonometric first order differential equation is a mathematical expression that involves an unknown function, its derivatives, and trigonometric functions. It can be written in the form of f(x,y,y')=0, where y is the unknown function and y' is its derivative.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric first order differential equation?

To solve a trigonometric first order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The appropriate method depends on the specific form of the equation.

3. What is the role of trigonometric first order differential equations in real-life applications?

Trigonometric first order differential equations are used to model many real-life phenomena and processes, such as oscillations, vibrations, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve problems involving periodic or oscillatory behavior.

4. Can trigonometric first order differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric first order differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because they are often nonlinear and may have different initial conditions or parameter values that result in different solutions.

5. Is it possible to solve a trigonometric first order differential equation without using calculus?

No, calculus is necessary to solve a trigonometric first order differential equation. These equations involve derivatives, which are defined and manipulated using calculus. However, for simpler equations, you may be able to use algebraic techniques to solve them without explicitly using calculus.