How do you convert from Decibels to SNR for use with Shannon's equation?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to convert from decibels to the relevant signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) for Shannon's formula. They have found a formula for this conversion but are having trouble with the manipulations and are looking for a simpler explanation. They also provide a worked example using the formula and mention that the conversion can be done by dividing the decibels by 10 and raising 10 to that power.
Comscistudent
Hi all,

It's been many years since I did Mathematics last and I'm having trouble converting from db to the format required by Shannon's formula.

I've googled and looked in the textbook but it's all a bit technical for me, I see logs and formula manipulation and go cross-eyed.

I understand that decibels represent a ratio of S/N. Can someone maybe show me how to convert from 20db to the relevant Snr for shannons? Please explain as if trying to teach it to a 5 year old :)

I have found the SNR = 10log(S/N) ,where log is to the base 10, and I have a worked example using this but I get lost with the manipulations. Is there any rough and ready conversion?

I'm studying for an exam, this isn't a case of I have a simple question to convert from 20db, if it helps please pick an arbitrary number of db for the example.

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In case more info is needed -

35db is the SNR in the question
SNR(db) = 35 = 10log(SNR) (all logs are base 10)
SNR = 1035/10 = 103.5

Where does the 35/10 come from? if it was 20 db would it just be 20/10?

Ok so it turns out all you do is divide the decibels by 10 and raise 10 to this power. Example = 27 decibels = 102.7

1. What is the formula for converting from decibels to SNR?

The formula for converting from decibels (dB) to signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is SNR = 10^(dB/10).

2. What is the significance of converting from decibels to SNR in relation to Shannon's equation?

Shannon's equation, also known as the Shannon-Hartley theorem, is used to calculate the maximum rate at which information can be transmitted over a communication channel. SNR is a key factor in this equation, as it represents the ratio of the signal power to the noise power. By converting from decibels to SNR, we can accurately determine the SNR value needed for Shannon's equation.

3. How do I convert from decibels to SNR in practice?

To convert from decibels to SNR, simply take the dB value and plug it into the formula SNR = 10^(dB/10). For example, if the decibel value is 20 dB, the SNR would be 10^(20/10) = 100. This means that the signal power is 100 times larger than the noise power.

4. Why is it important to understand how to convert from decibels to SNR?

Converting from decibels to SNR is important for engineers and scientists who work with communication systems, as it allows for accurate calculation of the maximum data rate for a given channel. It is also important for troubleshooting and optimizing communication systems, as SNR is a critical parameter for signal quality and reliability.

5. Can I convert from SNR to decibels using the same formula?

Yes, you can convert from SNR to decibels using the formula dB = 10log(SNR). This is the inverse of the formula for converting from decibels to SNR. For example, if the SNR value is 100, the decibel value would be 10log(100) = 20 dB.