How do I calculate the profile frequency of a mixed sample?

In summary, the genotype frequency for your sample, which includes both minor and major contributors, is 28.
Popz
Homework Statement
This is a DNA sample taken from under the fingernail with a major and minor contributor.
Relevant Equations
/
IMG_20201208_154748.jpg

Here an excerpt of my sample. In this case the minor contributors match 100% with a reference sample from a suspect. I am now to calculate the profile frequency to calculate the likelihood ratio.

Do I multiply the allele frequencies of both minor and major contributor and use this value as my genotype frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sample: Minor ContributorAllele 1: 3Allele 2: 5Major ContributorAllele 1: 14Allele 2: 6Reference Sample: Allele 1: 3Allele 2: 5No, you don't multiply the allele frequencies of both the major and minor contributors to calculate the genotype frequency. The genotype frequency for your sample is the sum of the allele frequencies for the minor contributor (3+5=8) and the major contributor (14+6=20). So, the genotype frequency for your sample is 8 + 20 = 28.

1. What is a mixed sample?

A mixed sample refers to a sample that contains more than one type of molecule or substance. This can occur in various scientific fields, such as genetics, chemistry, and environmental science.

2. Why is it important to calculate the profile frequency of a mixed sample?

Calculating the profile frequency of a mixed sample can provide valuable information about the composition and characteristics of the sample. This can help in identifying and understanding the different components present in the sample.

3. How do I determine the profile frequency of a mixed sample?

The profile frequency of a mixed sample can be determined by analyzing the relative abundance of each component in the sample. This can be done through various techniques, such as chromatography, mass spectrometry, or DNA sequencing.

4. What factors can affect the profile frequency of a mixed sample?

The profile frequency of a mixed sample can be affected by various factors, such as the initial composition of the sample, the sensitivity of the analytical technique used, and any potential contamination or interference from other sources.

5. How can I use the profile frequency of a mixed sample in my research?

The profile frequency of a mixed sample can be used in various ways in research, such as identifying biomarkers, studying population genetics, and detecting environmental pollutants. It can also be used in quality control and authentication of products in industries such as food and pharmaceuticals.