How do I find the integral of 1/(x^6+1) using partial fractions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
freshman2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



basically the title

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


so I tried writing it as a difference of squares and got (x^3+1+sqrt(2)*x^1.5)(x^3+1-sqrt(2)x^1.5)
and I attempted partial fractions and I don't know if I did anything wrong, but then I got stuck when it came time to solve for the variables in the partial fraction decomposition. I'm not lost on this problem so If anyone has any clue, please guide me in the right direction. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not good at integrations... but here is a answer kind of thing done in mathematica...
you can check your results with it...
Sorry, could not really help you.
 
Attachments
Try writing [itex]1 + x^6[/itex] as a sum of two cubes:
[tex] 1+x^6 = 1 + \left(x^2\right)^3[/tex]

and factor, then apply partial fractions.
 
Hint :: ##\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{1+x^6}dx = \frac{1}{2}\int\frac{(1+x^4)+(1-x^4)}{1+x^6}dx##

and Break into two parts ##I## and ##J##