How Do You Calculate Acceleration from Position and Time Data?

In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem involving the use of an equation for the initial velocity, but is not sure how to do so.
CustardPi
Ok, I've been running over this problem for about an hour now, and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. I'm a complete newb, so I'm sure it's something stupid, but I could use the help.

Homework Statement

An object with an initial velocity undergoes constant acceleration. Position information was collected at 4 poins and is shown in the table. Using Yn+1 - Yn = Vnt + (1/2)ayt2 determine the acceleration and fill in each box.

edit : it screwed up my table, I hope it makes sense.

Point #; Time (s); Position (m); Average Acceleration (m/s2
1; 0; 1; n/a
2; 1; 8; (answer here)
3; 2; 25; (answer here)
4; 3; 52; n/a

Homework Equations

Yn+1 - Yn = Vnt + (1/2)ayt2

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's one attempt I tried.

25m - 8m = 7(1) + 1/2ay(1)

ay = 20

I've tried a few different attempts, I'm not sure I should show them all here. The problem I'm running into is that I think I need to plug in velocity figures, but I wasn't given any, so I messed around some, but the answers don't make sense, and aren't uniform.

Physics news on Phys.org
At position 1 Yn = 1m, and Vn is the initial velocity.
At position 2 Yn+1 = 8 m and t = 1s
At position 3 Yn+1 = 25 m and t = 2s
At position 4 Yn+1 = 52 m and t = 3s
From position 1 and 2 you get 8-1 = V0 +1/2*a...(1) Similarly wright the equations for positions 1 and 3, and 1 and 4. Solve the equations to find the acceleration.

Last edited:
Ok, that all makes sense, but I'm still not sure what to do for initial velocity, since it wasn't given to us. Am I supposed to use some equation to find it?

Wright three equators. From the first equation we get Vo = 7-1/2*a. Use this value in other two equations to find a

Thank you for your help, I figured it out earlier today, things are making more sense every day!

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration from Position and Time Data?

1. What is basic constant acceleration and how is it calculated?

Constant acceleration refers to the unchanging rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is basic constant acceleration different from variable acceleration?

Basic constant acceleration is when an object's acceleration remains the same throughout its motion, while variable acceleration refers to a changing rate of acceleration over time.

3. What is the formula for calculating basic constant acceleration?

The formula for calculating basic constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What are some real-life examples of basic constant acceleration?

Some common examples of basic constant acceleration include objects falling under the force of gravity, a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, and a rollercoaster moving along a smooth track.

5. How does air resistance affect basic constant acceleration?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect an object's motion by acting in the opposite direction of its movement. This can cause the object to experience a different rate of acceleration, making it either slower or faster than expected.