How Do You Calculate Tension in a String With Masses and Friction?

• Thread starter l607309608126
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Pulley
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving stacked masses on a table and the tension in a string connecting them. After analyzing the forces at play, the correct solution is found to be 137 N, but the answer book gives a different, incorrect answer of 150 N.
l607309608126

Homework Statement

Two 20 kg masses rest on a horizontal table. The bottom mass is connected to a string of negligible mass, which passes over a frictionless pulley with negligible mass and supports a third 20 kg mass that hangs over the side of the table. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and the stacked masses is 0.15.

What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

FNET = ma
Ff = μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

For the hanging mass:
Fw - Ft = 20a
20*9.8 - Ft = 20a

For the mass on the table:
Ft - Ff = 40a
Ft - 0.15*40*9.8 = 40a

After adding 20*9.8 - Ft = 20a and Ft - 0.15*40*9.8 = 40a
I got 20*9.8 - 0.15*40*9.8 = 60a
so a = (20*9.8 - 0.15*40*9.8)/60 = 2.3 m/s2

Then I plugged a into 20*9.8 - Ft = 20a to solve for Ft.
Ft = 20*9.8 - 20 (2.3) = 150 N

The answer my book gave me is 137N. Are they asking for something else other than the force of tension of the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are those blocks on the top of each other and accelerating together? Is the coefficient of friction between the blocks not specified?

ehild

Last edited:
I got what your answer book gives. I think you're over complicating the question.

You have two forces in play that you need to take into consideration:
The weight of the hanging mass, and the frictional force due to the hanging mass.

Last edited:
So it's just 9.8*20 - 0.15*9.8*40 = 137 N
Then what did I find?

Correct.

l607309608126 said:
So it's just 9.8*20 - 0.15*9.8*40 = 137 N
Then what did I find?

You have found the resultant force acting on the system of masses. The acceleration is 137/(3*20)=2.28 m/s2. That is the same you got.
The tension in the string is 20g-20a=150 N. The book is wrong.

ehild

Thank you! I guess the book is wrong.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a String With Masses and Friction?

What is a pulley with hanging mass?

A pulley with hanging mass is a simple machine that is used to lift or lower objects. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that wraps around the wheel. One end of the rope is attached to a stationary object and the other end is attached to a hanging mass. When the rope is pulled, the wheel rotates and the hanging mass moves up or down.

What is the purpose of using a pulley with hanging mass?

The purpose of using a pulley with hanging mass is to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. By using a pulley, the weight of the object is distributed between multiple ropes, making it easier to lift. This can be especially useful when lifting heavy objects or when a person does not have enough strength to lift the object on their own.

How does a pulley with hanging mass work?

A pulley with hanging mass works by utilizing the principles of mechanical advantage and friction. The wheel of the pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by distributing the weight across multiple ropes. Friction between the rope and the wheel also helps to keep the rope in place and prevent the object from slipping.

What are the different types of pulleys with hanging mass?

There are two main types of pulleys with hanging mass: fixed pulleys and movable pulleys. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force, making it easier to lift the object. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, distributing the weight even further and making it even easier to lift.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys with hanging mass?

Pulleys with hanging mass have many real-life applications, including elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. They are also commonly used in construction, theater productions, and rock climbing. In everyday life, they can be found in window blinds, garage doors, and exercise equipment. Essentially, any situation where a heavy object needs to be lifted or lowered can benefit from the use of a pulley with hanging mass.