How Do You Calculate the Accepted Acceleration of a Rolling Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the accepted value for the acceleration of a solid cylinder rolling down an incline. The instructions were given on how to derive the equation for this value, including the moment of inertia and necessary equations. The concept of conservation of energy was discussed and used to determine the final velocity and acceleration. The conversation also touched on the physics of the situation and provided some tips for solving the problem.
xtremebenji
1. A solid cylinder is being rolled down an incline, and we are looking for acceleration. I can find the observed value of acceleration fairly easily, but am not sure how to find the accepted one. Below are the instructions given on how we are supposed to find the accepted acceleration equation:
Show me, without any numbers, how to determine the equation for the Accepted Value for the acceleration down the incline of the Solid Cylinder. Make sure that you include your derivation of the moment of inertia of the Solid Cylinder and all the necessary equations to determine the acceleration. (In other words, don't just copy derived formulas out of the book willy-nilly.)

It is assumed that there is no slipping while it rolls.

2. I=(integral)r^2dm, acceleration(inst)=dV/dt
3. using conservation of energy and solving for V, then taking the derivative of that with respect to t...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I have looked at it a little bit more, and tried the conservation of energy thing again, I get to a=[tex]\sqrt{(2mgh_{i}-I\omega^2)/m}[/tex]dt

is this even on the right track?

Show us how you got that.

Describe the physics of the whole situation, as you understand it. We can always give you the answer.

Shooting star said:
Show us how you got that.

Describe the physics of the whole situation, as you understand it. We can always give you the answer.
Yea, ok, I got close now I think.

Because it is rolling without slipping conservation of Energy is true.

I already went through and derived the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder and got the equation, 0.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex] (I know that is right :p)

Ok so Me[tex]_{f}[/tex]=Me[tex]_{i}[/tex]

Setting the Zero Line at the bottom of the incline:

KE[tex]_{translationalf}[/tex]+KE[tex]_{rollingf}[/tex]=U[tex]_{g}[/tex]

0.5mV[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]+0.5I[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]=mgh[tex]_{i}[/tex]

mV[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]+(0.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex])(V/R)=2mgh[tex]_{i}[/tex]

V[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]+(0.5R)(V)=2gh[tex]_{i}[/tex]

Now I know it is just algerbra... but how would I solve for V there... because I would get V in the anser if I distributed...

But after I find V it is just Uniformly accelerated Motion so I can get it right after that one problem.

EDIT: Don't know why the subscripts are messed up but they are a few times where they shouldn't be... Which is just strange...

1. Look at the 3rd last and 2nd last equarions. You have written, v/r in place of omega^2. Correct that. Then differentiate wrt t.

2. Also, this vf is nothing but v, since you are considering any point on the path.

3. If the angle the plane makes with the horizontal is theta, then h=x*sin theta, where x is the dist actually traveled down the plane. Draw a diagram.

4. accn a=dv/dt and v=dx/dt.

5. Tell us how much accn 'a' is in terms of g and theta.

Shooting star said:
1. Look at the 3rd last and 2nd last equarions. You have written, v/r in place of omega^2. Correct that. Then differentiate wrt t.

2. Also, this vf is nothing but v, since you are considering any point on the path.

3. If the angle the plane makes with the horizontal is theta, then h=x*sin theta, where x is the dist actually traveled down the plane. Draw a diagram.

4. accn a=dv/dt and v=dx/dt.

5. Tell us how much accn 'a' is in terms of g and theta.

I did mess up writing the V/r it should have been (V/R)^2 because V=R(omega) so I can just get rid of omega in the equation.

Right. Now wrap it up, as I have said.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Accepted Acceleration of a Rolling Cylinder?

What is the purpose of a Moment of Inertia lab?

The purpose of a Moment of Inertia lab is to experimentally determine the moment of inertia of an object and to understand how it affects its rotational motion.

What is the definition of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different properties of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of how this mass is distributed around an axis of rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass or a larger distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia.

How is moment of inertia measured in a lab?

Moment of inertia is typically measured in a lab using a rotational apparatus, such as a rotating platform or a pendulum, and by recording the necessary parameters such as mass, distance, and angular velocity. These values are then used to calculate the moment of inertia using the appropriate formula.