How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant for a Car's Shock Absorbers?

In summary, the problem involves a car with bad shock absorbers bouncing up and down with a period of 1.81 s after hitting a bump. The car has a mass of 1380 kg and is supported by four springs of equal force constant k. To determine the value of k, the equations T=2pi/w and w^2=k/m are used. After solving for w and plugging it into the second equation, a value of 101806.5992 N/m is obtained. However, this answer was incorrect due to not dividing by 4, which accounts for the 4 equal springs in parallel. After correcting this mistake, the final answer for k is 25451.6498 N/m.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A car with bad shock absorbers bounces up and down with a period of 1.81 s after hitting a bump. The car has a mass of 1380 kg and is supported by four springs of equal force constant k. Determine a value for k.
Answer in units of N/m.

Homework Equations

T=2pi/w
T=1.81 s

w^2=k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for w in the above equation and got 11.372 as my answer. I then plugged it into the second equation and solved for k. I got an answer of 178,482.6366 which I immediately plugged in and got wrong. I then divided it by 4 thinking that would work. Nope got it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the same thing. I rearranged the equation and got k = (2pi/T)2 * m. And I got 101806.5992 for mine, and got it wrong. ?? Someone please help. Thanks. ;)

Bearbull24.5, I believe you solved for the frequency incorrectly (when you solved for w as a function of T, did you end up multiplying 2pi by T or dividing 2pi by T; which should you have done)?

And further, while you were supposed to divide by 4, you should have an understanding of why that is the case. The car is supported by 4 equal springs with spring constant k - these springs are in parallel, meaning that for a given force (the weight of the car), all 4 springs will move down the same amount. If you're looking at the natural frequency of this system, the total spring constant is 4*k. So w^2=4k/m. The rest of the problem is algebra and arithmetic.

MissPenguins, you've made an arithmetic error and forgotten about the factor of 4 described above.

jamesrc said:
Bearbull24.5, I believe you solved for the frequency incorrectly (when you solved for w as a function of T, did you end up multiplying 2pi by T or dividing 2pi by T; which should you have done)?

And further, while you were supposed to divide by 4, you should have an understanding of why that is the case. The car is supported by 4 equal springs with spring constant k - these springs are in parallel, meaning that for a given force (the weight of the car), all 4 springs will move down the same amount. If you're looking at the natural frequency of this system, the total spring constant is 4*k. So w^2=4k/m. The rest of the problem is algebra and arithmetic.

MissPenguins, you've made an arithmetic error and forgotten about the factor of 4 described above.

Alright, I figured it out and got the right answer. Thanks. ;)

I multiplied 2pi by T

Got it

Related to How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant for a Car's Shock Absorbers?

What is the Spring Constant of a car?

The Spring Constant of a car is a measurement of the stiffness of the car's suspension system. It is represented by the symbol k and is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

Why is the Spring Constant important in a car?

The Spring Constant is important in a car because it affects the car's handling, ride quality, and overall performance. A higher Spring Constant means the suspension is stiffer, leading to better handling and less body roll, but a rougher ride. A lower Spring Constant results in a softer suspension and a smoother ride, but can negatively impact handling.

How is the Spring Constant calculated for a car?

The Spring Constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. It can also be determined by measuring the natural frequency of the car's suspension system using specialized equipment.

What factors can affect the Spring Constant of a car?

The Spring Constant of a car can be affected by various factors such as the type of suspension system, the material and design of the springs, the weight and distribution of the car, and the type of road surface it is driving on.

Can the Spring Constant of a car be changed?

Yes, the Spring Constant of a car can be changed by adjusting the suspension system. This can be done by replacing the springs with ones that have a different stiffness, or by adjusting the height and tension of the existing springs. However, it is important to note that changing the Spring Constant can have significant impacts on the car's handling and ride quality.