How Do You Draw a Vector Diagram for an Airplane Adjusting for Wind?

• Thread starter krypt0nite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the plane should head in a direction of 38.6 degrees North of East because the angle between the "flight path" and the original direction (28 degrees North of East) is the same as the angle between the "flight path" and the "wind" (which is 100 km/hr in this case).
krypt0nite
An airplane, whose air speed is 480 km/h is suppose to fly in a straight path 28.0 degrees N of E. But a steady 100k/m wind is blowing from the north. In what direction should the plane head.

Well my problem is I'm having problem drawing this vector. I can't seem to get that 28degrees N of E inside the angle of my vector diagram. Someone please show me how to draw it.

Physics news on Phys.org
krypt0nite said:
An airplane, whose air speed is 480 km/h is suppose to fly in a straight path 28.0 degrees N of E. But a steady 100k/m wind is blowing from the north. In what direction should the plane head.

Well my problem is I'm having problem drawing this vector. I can't seem to get that 28degrees N of E inside the angle of my vector diagram. Someone please show me how to draw it.

Uh, that is the easy part of the problem! Draw a horizontal line representing "East" at the left end it measure an angle up 28 degrees. Draw an arrow from the left end of your horizontal line in that direction. Draw an arrow straight down representing the wind (which I hope is actually 100 km/hr) with "length" 100. Connect your beginning and end points to form a triangle. That last line should have "length" 480 and its direction is the direction in which the plane should head.

Could you draw that in paint or something really quickly because its hard to understand. But anyways the answer i got is 40 degrees N of S is the direction it should head in. Is that correct?

No, I can't use Paint: the file is much too large to upload.

Surely you don't mean "N of S"! If you got 40 degrees N of E, that's pretty close.

In my picture, the angle between the horizontal axis and the "flight path" is 28 degrees. By "alternate interior angles" the angle the horizontal makes with that same "flight path" at the other end is also 28 degrees and so the angle inside the triangle at that point (from the "flight path" to north) is 90+ 28= 118 degrees. Now use the sine law: that 118 degree angle is opposite the 480 km/h line. The angle opposite the 100 km/h line is given by sin(A)/100= sin(118)/480 so A is about 10.6 degrees. The heading of the airplane should be that plus the original 28: about 38.6 degees North of East.

Related to How Do You Draw a Vector Diagram for an Airplane Adjusting for Wind?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add two vectors, you add their x-components together and their y-components together to get the resulting vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include time, temperature, and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then adding them together. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and can also be used to calculate work and power in physics.

5. How do I find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem by squaring the x-component and the y-component, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the result. To find the direction, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the angle between the vector and a reference axis.