How does the mass of cylinder B compare to the mass of block A?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving for a specific velocity using the work done by a massless string. The conversation also addresses the significance of variables and their relationships in the problem. The speakers ask for clarification on the objects and their positions in the given figure to better understand the problem.
Differentiate it
Homework Statement
Could someone help me out with this?
Relevant Equations
-
Screenshot_20220917-200959~2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate it said:
Homework Statement:: Could someone help me out with this?
Relevant Equations:: -

View attachment 314286
Yes, someone can, but we need to see your attempt at solving this before we can begin to help.

Likes topsquark
SammyS said:
Yes, someone can, but we need to see your attempt at solving this before we can begin to help.
Well I used the Net work done by a massless string thing and i seem to be getting 1.2 m/s instead of the 1.8 m/s shown in the answer key

it helps to be very methodical with such questions.
Define variables for the lengths of string of interest. There's the string running from the large pulley to the rightmost pulley, the string from the centre if the large pulley to the other small pulley, the string running from the bottom of the large pulley to the bottom of that same small pulley, and the vertical string.
What fact relates those four lengths?
What fact relates the first two?
What fact relates the second and third?

Differentiate it said:
Well I used the Net work done by a massless string thing and i seem to be getting 1.2 m/s instead of the 1.8 m/s shown in the answer key
That isn't much information regarding the specifics or your attempt. Rather than ask about how you used and obtained the Net work of the massless string, I'll ask some questions regarding the objects shown in the figure.

It looks like the two small pulleys are fixed in position relative to the bench/table. Is that correct?

Is the axel of the large pulley a fixed distance from block A ?

Is the string attached to the axel of the large pulley at one end and cylinder B at the other end?

Likes topsquark

Related to How does the mass of cylinder B compare to the mass of block A?

1. What is "Just a little pulley problem"?

"Just a little pulley problem" is a physics problem that involves a system of pulleys and a weight. It is commonly used as an example to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and the concept of work and energy.

2. How do you solve "Just a little pulley problem"?

To solve "Just a little pulley problem", you will need to identify the number of pulleys in the system, determine the direction of the force acting on the weight, and use the equations of mechanical advantage and work and energy to calculate the final answer. It is important to draw a clear diagram and label all the forces acting on the weight to accurately solve the problem.

3. What are the key concepts involved in "Just a little pulley problem"?

The key concepts involved in "Just a little pulley problem" are mechanical advantage, work, and energy. Mechanical advantage refers to the ratio of output force to input force in a system of pulleys. Work is the product of force and displacement, and energy is the ability to do work. In this problem, the weight is lifted by applying a force over a certain distance, which requires work and involves the transfer of energy.

4. Can "Just a little pulley problem" be solved using different methods?

Yes, "Just a little pulley problem" can be solved using different methods, such as using the equations of mechanical advantage and work and energy, or by using the concept of conservation of energy. The method used may vary depending on the given information and the approach preferred by the solver.

5. Why is "Just a little pulley problem" a useful example in physics?

"Just a little pulley problem" is a useful example in physics because it demonstrates the application of important concepts such as mechanical advantage, work, and energy in a simple and practical scenario. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and improve understanding of fundamental principles in physics.