How is kinetic energy and momentum conserved in an internal explosion?

In summary: KE1=500JKE2=7000JIn summary, an internal explosion with 7500 J of energy breaks an object, initially at rest, into two pieces with one having 1.5 times the mass of the other. The final kinetic energy of each piece is 500 J and 7000 J, respectively. Momentum is conserved in all collisions or explosions and energy is not conserved in an explosion, but the initial kinetic energy is zero, so the final kinetic energy must be 7500 J.
pb23me

Homework Statement

an internal explosion breaks an object, initially at rest, into two pieces, one of which has 1.5 times the mass of the other. If 7500 J were released in the explosion, how much kinetic energy did each piece acquire.

Homework Equations

K1+K2=7500J
3/2mvi+mvi=3/2mvf+mvf
p2/2m=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure exactly when kinetic energy or momentum begin and end in the conservation equations. Does kinetic energy begin at zero and end right after the explosion? Does momentum begin at zero as well? and where does it end? This is a big source of confusion for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi pb23me! :smile:

momentum is conserved in all collisions or explosions (reverse collisions!)

energy, obviously, is not conserved in an explosion, but you're told that the initial KE is 0, so the final KE must be 7500 J :wink:

pb23me said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure exactly when kinetic energy or momentum begin and end in the conservation equations. Does kinetic energy begin at zero and end right after the explosion? Does momentum begin at zero as well? and where does it end? This is a big source of confusion for me.

Well it is initially at rest, so the initial momentum is zero.

the final momentum will be mv1+(1.5m)v2. You can now form the equation for conservation of momentum

Now energy is is also conserved so 7500 = KE1 + KE2

KE1 = (1/2)mv12

Hi tiny tim, i just read something about this that's seems to be a contradiction... In an explosion the initial momentum is zero, the pieces fly in opposite directions so momentum is conserved. Well then how does that work out for the conservation of momentum equation m1vi+m2vi=m1vf+m2vf... it starts with zero and ends with some amount? How is that conservation. Also what is the final momentum is it right after the explosion? KEf is that right after the explosion as well?

or rockfreak thanx.

hi pb23me! :smile:
pb23me said:
m1vi+m2vi=m1vf+m2vf... it starts with zero and ends with some amount? How is that conservation.

momentum (unlike energy) is a vector, so the final momentum can (and does!) still add to zero :wink:
Also what is the final momentum is it right after the explosion? KEf is that right after the explosion as well?

it doesn't matter …

momentum is always conserved anyway,

and energy will only fail to be conserved during the explosion itself :smile:

Ok so 1/2mv12+1/2mv12/2.25=7500J
3.25mv12=33750
1/2mv12=5192.3J
1/2mv22=2307.7J

pb23me said:
Ok so 1/2mv12+1/2mv12/2.25=7500J
3.25mv12=33750
1/2mv12=5192.3J
1/2mv22=2307.7J

sorry, I'm following neither the logic nor the arithmetic :redface:

where is the conservation of momentum? :confused:

try using your KE = p2/2m equation :smile:

oops... ok v2=-3/2v1 so [(3/2)mv1]2/2m+(mv2)2/2m=7500J so plugging in v2=-3/2v1 i get 15mv12/8=7500J
KE1=2000J
KE2=5500J

pb23me said:
[(3/2)mv1]2/2m+(mv2)2/2m=7500J

why are the masses on the bottom the same?

why are the momentums on the top different? :confused:

the masses on the bottom are supposed to be 3m and 2m. I had the right masses in my calculation just forgot to write that on here. And for the momentums on the top it should be 9/4(m)v12 for the first and (mv2)2 for the second

pb23me said:
the masses on the bottom are supposed to be 3m and 2m. I had the right masses in my calculation just forgot to write that on here. And for the momentums on the top it should be 9/4(m)v12 for the first and (mv2)2 for the second

:smile: :smile:

oh that's hilarious!

i'm going to bed now :zzz:

see if you can tidy it up by the morning! :wink:

[(3/2)mv1]2/(3/2)2m+(mv1)2/2m=7500J
so 3mv12/4+mv12/2=7500J
15mv12/8=7500J
mv12=4000J
so 1/2mv12=2000J
1/2mv22=5500J
I don't understand where my error is at?

pb23me said:
so 3mv12/4+mv12/2=7500J
15mv12/8=7500J

nooo :redface: … 5mv12/4=7500J :wink:

oh ok... That was from an earlier miss calculation that i didnt go back and check...thanx

Related to How is kinetic energy and momentum conserved in an internal explosion?

1. What is the Internal Explosion Problem?

The Internal Explosion Problem is a phenomenon in which a sudden and intense explosion occurs within a confined space or material. This can be caused by a build-up of pressure, chemical reactions, or other factors.

2. What are the potential causes of an Internal Explosion?

There are many potential causes of an Internal Explosion, including but not limited to: overheating, sparks or flames, chemical reactions, and pressure build-up. It is important to identify and address the root cause in order to prevent future occurrences.

3. How dangerous is an Internal Explosion?

An Internal Explosion can be extremely dangerous, as it can cause significant damage to the surrounding area and potentially harm individuals nearby. The severity of the explosion depends on various factors, such as the size of the confined space and the materials involved.

4. How can I prevent an Internal Explosion?

To prevent an Internal Explosion, it is important to identify and address any potential hazards in the confined space or material. This may include proper ventilation, regular maintenance and inspections, and following safety protocols when handling potentially hazardous materials.

5. What should I do if an Internal Explosion occurs?

If an Internal Explosion occurs, it is important to evacuate the area immediately and call emergency services. Do not attempt to handle the situation on your own, as it can be extremely dangerous. Once the area is safe, it is important to conduct a thorough investigation to determine the cause of the explosion and take necessary measures to prevent it from happening again.