How to accurately represent motion using a vector diagram?

In summary, the conversation was about drawing a vector diagram to represent the motion of a duck on a pond. The duck paddled 22 m at 36 degrees north of east, and then paddled another 65 m at 25 degrees east of south in a total time of 2.0 min. The conversation also included a discussion on finding the total displacement of the duck and how to correctly draw the vectors. The final conclusion was that distance and displacement are not the same thing, and every vector must be broken into its x and y components before adding them together.
nblu
The question was, "In a total time of 2.0 min, a duck on a pond paddles
22 m [36deg N of E] and then paddles another 65 m [25 deg E of S]"

a) Draw a vector diagram that represents this motion. Be sure to include
a scale and compass.

I've given a new try with this diagram. Could anyone please correct it for me?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Link to the diagram:
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=37755109ri9.jpg

p.s / To find the Total Displacement, should I use the x & y component added together
then use the inverse tan to find the angle and direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check your methods for drawing vectors. After you draw the first vector you draw the second vector from the tip of previous one. If you do they way you drew the vectors check out... http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#veccon and the links within that web...that should help.

Midy1420 said:
check your methods for drawing vectors. After you draw the first vector you draw the second vector from the tip of previous one. If you do they way you drew the vectors check out... http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#veccon and the links within that web...that should help.

Thanks again Mindy,
I think I got it now!

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21pm6.jpg

What do you think?

also according to your drawing you have the correct distance traveled but distance and displacement are not the same thing.

Displacement is a vector so you have to break every vector into its x and y components. you can only add x components with x components and so on.

Last edited:
Midy1420 said:
also according to your drawing you have the correct distance traveled but distance and displacement are not the same thing.

Displacement is a vector so you have to break every vector into its x and y components. you can only add x components with x components and so on.

Ok ^^
Thank you very much!

1. What is a vector diagram?

A vector diagram is a graphical representation of a vector, which is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to visually represent the various forces acting on an object.

2. How is a vector diagram constructed?

A vector diagram is constructed by drawing arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of each vector involved. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector diagram?

A scalar diagram represents quantities that only have magnitude, such as temperature or mass. A vector diagram, on the other hand, represents quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. What are some common applications of vector diagrams?

Vector diagrams are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving forces, motion, and other physical quantities. They are also used in navigation and map-making to represent the direction and distance of travel.

5. How do you use vector diagrams to solve problems?

To use a vector diagram to solve a problem, you must first identify all the relevant vectors and their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use geometric methods such as vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant vector, which represents the overall effect of all the vectors involved. Finally, you can use mathematical equations to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.