How to calculate sound intensity when given decibels

In summary, when a person wears a hearing aid, the sound intensity level increases by 30.0 dB. To find the factor by which the sound intensity increases, we can use the equation B = (10 dB) log (Ia/Ib), where B is the increase in decibels, Ia is the new sound intensity, and Ib is the threshold of human hearing. By substituting the given values, we get an answer of 1.0 * 10^-9 for Ia, which is the factor by which the sound intensity increases.
DMOC

Homework Statement

When a person wears a hearing aid, the sound intensity level increases by 30.0 dB. By what factor does the sound intensity increase?

Homework Equations

B = (10 dB) log (Ia/Ib)

Ia = sound intensity
Ib = threshold of human hearing (1.0 * 10^-12 W/m^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above, substituting into it:

30 dB = (10 dB) log (Ia/1.0 * 10^-12 W/m^2)

I divided both sides by 10 dB to get rid of the 10 dB on the right side of the equation.

3 = log (Ia/1.0 * 10^-12 W/m^2)

Then I converted this into regular exponential form without logs:

10^3 = (I/1.0 * 10^-12 W/m^2)

I get 1.0 * 10^-9 for I, but my answer key says the answer is 1000. This is 10^3, which I seem to have, but I still have an unknown - I - in the equation.

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer of I = 1.0 * 10^-9 is correct.
But the question doesn't ask for I, it asks by what factor has I increased - presumably from 0 db which is the threshold of hearing. So divide your answer for I by the value of Ib.

DMOC said:
10^3 = (I/1.0 * 10^-12 W/m^2)

Right there is your answer. The wanted the factor, I/I0, not the intensity to give 30dB

So I got the right answer all along...it was just that I had to realize that the question asked for what (Ia/Ib) was equal to, not just Ia.

Thanks!

1. How do you convert decibels to sound intensity?

To convert decibels to sound intensity, you can use the formula: sound intensity = 10^(dB/10). Simply plug in the given number of decibels and solve for sound intensity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for sound intensity?

The unit for sound intensity is watts per square meter (W/m^2).

3. Can sound intensity be negative?

No, sound intensity cannot be negative as it represents the amount of sound energy that passes through a unit area in a specific direction. Negative values do not make sense in this context.

4. How does distance affect sound intensity?

Sound intensity decreases as distance from the source increases. This is because the sound energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity. The relationship between sound intensity and distance is inversely proportional.

5. How does the sound source affect sound intensity?

The sound source can greatly affect sound intensity. For example, a larger or more powerful sound source will produce a higher sound intensity compared to a smaller or weaker source. Additionally, the direction and type of sound source can also impact sound intensity.