Choose a Damper: How to Find the Right One

• Thread starter yerzhikus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper
In summary, the speaker is seeking to find a real damper with a specific coefficient c to fit an equation for a system with a spring and damper in parallel. They have not been able to find this specific information in the specifications of dampers they have looked at and are seeking help or clarification.
yerzhikus
Lets assume a simple situation where there is a spring and a damper connected in parallel.
We place some weight above them and begin the vibrations.
The equation will then be:

Mx'' = -kx -cx' -Mg
So, I want to find a damper with a certain coeffitient c.
I mean, that I want to find a real damper, that will fit that equation with the c parameter.
I just fix a value of c = const, which satisfies me, and the I want to test my system with a real damper. The problem is that I can't find the needed specification in all specifications of dampers I've looked at, I want to see something like this:
The linear damper has the parameter c = some constant. Or something like that.
Instead of it I see many other parameter. Can anybody help me to find out how to resolve my problem? Or I also would like, if possible to get the damper force F from that specifications, but I can;t see it also. In the equation the damper force will be F = -cx'

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, you have to be more specific.
yerzhikus said:
... I want to see something like this:
yerzhikus said:
... Or something like that.
yerzhikus said:
... Instead of it I see many other parameter.
All of the above are too vague for us to understand what your problem is and how we can help you with it.

1. What is a damper and what does it do?

A damper is a mechanical device that is used to control the flow of air or gas in a system. It helps regulate the amount of air or gas that enters or exits a space, and can also be used to maintain a specific temperature, humidity, or pressure.

2. How do I know which damper is right for my system?

The right damper for your system will depend on several factors, including the size and type of system, the airflow requirements, and the environment it will be used in. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the specific needs of your system and select a damper accordingly.

3. What are some common types of dampers?

Some common types of dampers include butterfly dampers, which use a circular plate to regulate airflow, and louver dampers, which use multiple blades to control airflow. Other types include guillotine dampers, poppet dampers, and slide dampers.

4. How do I install a damper?

The installation process will vary depending on the type of damper and the system it is being installed in. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult with a professional if needed. In general, dampers are mounted in the ductwork and may require additional support or sealing for proper installation.

5. How often should dampers be inspected and maintained?

Dampers should be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure they are functioning properly. The frequency of inspections will depend on the specific damper and its usage, but it is recommended to have them checked at least once a year. Regular maintenance can help extend the lifespan of dampers and prevent potential issues.