How to determine matching coefficient in Effective Field Theory?

In summary: Alternatively, you can solve for one coefficient and then substitute it into the other equation, giving a single equation with one unknown.
Markus Kahn
TL;DR Summary
Given the amplitudes of a scattering process at a fixed order of the EFT and full theory, I don't really understand how one is supposed to match them..
Assume that I have the Lagrangian
$$\mathcal{L}_{UV}
=\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\partial_{\mu} \phi\right)^{2}-m_{L}^{2} \phi^{2}+\left(\partial_{\mu} H\right)^{2}-M^{2} H^{2}\right]
-\frac{\lambda_{0}}{4 !} \phi^{4}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{4} \phi^{2} H^{2},$$
where ##\phi## is a light scalar field with mass ##m_L## and ##H## a heavy one with mass ##M##. Let the Lagrangian of the effective field theory (EFT) be
$$\mathcal{L}_{EFT} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\partial_{\mu} \phi\right)^{2}-m^{2} \phi^{2}\right]-C_{4} \frac{\phi^{4}}{4 !}-\frac{C_{6}}{M^{2}} \frac{\phi^{6}}{6 !}.$$

Assume that I have calculated the ##4##-point function up to ##1##-loop order and regularized it correctly (renormalization scale ##\mu##). The results are:
$$
\begin{align*}
\mathcal{M}_{4}^{\mathrm{EFT}} &=-C_{4}+\frac{C_{4}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}[f(s, m)+f(t, m)+f(u, m)] \\
&+\frac{3 C_{4}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+2\right)+\frac{C_{6} m^{2}}{32 \pi^{2} M^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+1\right)\\\\
\mathcal{M}_{4}^{\mathrm{UV}} & \approx-\lambda_{0}+\frac{3 \lambda_{0}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+2\right)+\frac{3 \lambda_{2}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{M^{2}}\right)\right)+\frac{m^{2} \lambda_{2}^{2}}{48 \pi^{2} M^{2}} \\
&+\frac{\lambda_{0}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}[f(s, m)+f(t, m)+f(u, m)].
\end{align*}
$$

The matching at tree-level resulted in:
$$m^2=m_L^2,\qquad C_4 = \lambda_0,\qquad C_6=0.$$
I would now like to perform the matching at one-loop, i.e. we demand ##\mathcal{M}_4^{EFT}= \mathcal{M}_4^{UV}+O(M^{-4})##.

Problem
We have two unknowns, ##C_4## and ##C_6##, that need to be expressed in terms of ##\lambda_0, \lambda_2, m, M,## etc. But ##\mathcal{M}_4^{EFT}= \mathcal{M}_4^{UV}+O(M^{-4})## gives us only one equation.. I don't see how we can determine both coefficients with only the above information.

Notes
I'm reading Adam Falkowski's lecture notes, see here. In section 2.3, p. 24, he performs the matching with only the above information and determines ##C_4##... I don't see how that is supposed to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Markus Kahn said:
Summary:: Given the amplitudes of a scattering process at a fixed order of the EFT and full theory, I don't really understand how one is supposed to match them..

Assume that I have the Lagrangian
$$\mathcal{L}_{UV}
=\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\partial_{\mu} \phi\right)^{2}-m_{L}^{2} \phi^{2}+\left(\partial_{\mu} H\right)^{2}-M^{2} H^{2}\right]
-\frac{\lambda_{0}}{4 !} \phi^{4}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{4} \phi^{2} H^{2},$$
where ##\phi## is a light scalar field with mass ##m_L## and ##H## a heavy one with mass ##M##. Let the Lagrangian of the effective field theory (EFT) be
$$\mathcal{L}_{EFT} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\partial_{\mu} \phi\right)^{2}-m^{2} \phi^{2}\right]-C_{4} \frac{\phi^{4}}{4 !}-\frac{C_{6}}{M^{2}} \frac{\phi^{6}}{6 !}.$$

Assume that I have calculated the ##4##-point function up to ##1##-loop order and regularized it correctly (renormalization scale ##\mu##). The results are:
$$
\begin{align*}
\mathcal{M}_{4}^{\mathrm{EFT}} &=-C_{4}+\frac{C_{4}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}[f(s, m)+f(t, m)+f(u, m)] \\
&+\frac{3 C_{4}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+2\right)+\frac{C_{6} m^{2}}{32 \pi^{2} M^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+1\right)\\\\
\mathcal{M}_{4}^{\mathrm{UV}} & \approx-\lambda_{0}+\frac{3 \lambda_{0}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{m^{2}}\right)+2\right)+\frac{3 \lambda_{2}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}\left(\log \left(\frac{\mu^{2}}{M^{2}}\right)\right)+\frac{m^{2} \lambda_{2}^{2}}{48 \pi^{2} M^{2}} \\
&+\frac{\lambda_{0}^{2}}{32 \pi^{2}}[f(s, m)+f(t, m)+f(u, m)].
\end{align*}
$$

The matching at tree-level resulted in:
$$m^2=m_L^2,\qquad C_4 = \lambda_0,\qquad C_6=0.$$
I would now like to perform the matching at one-loop, i.e. we demand ##\mathcal{M}_4^{EFT}= \mathcal{M}_4^{UV}+O(M^{-4})##.

Problem
We have two unknowns, ##C_4## and ##C_6##, that need to be expressed in terms of ##\lambda_0, \lambda_2, m, M,## etc. But ##\mathcal{M}_4^{EFT}= \mathcal{M}_4^{UV}+O(M^{-4})## gives us only one equation.. I don't see how we can determine both coefficients with only the above information.

Notes
I'm reading Adam Falkowski's lecture notes, see here. In section 2.3, p. 24, he performs the matching with only the above information and determines ##C_4##... I don't see how that is supposed to work.
Did you take into consideration the fact that the log terms must match and that the constant pieces must also match? This gives two independent relations.

1. What is Effective Field Theory?

Effective Field Theory (EFT) is a theoretical framework used in particle physics to describe the interactions between particles at different energy scales. It is based on the concept that at low energies, only a few degrees of freedom are relevant, while at high energies, more degrees of freedom become important.

2. How is the matching coefficient determined in EFT?

The matching coefficient in EFT is determined by matching the low-energy effective theory to a more fundamental theory at high energies. This is done by calculating the scattering amplitudes of the two theories and equating them at a specific energy scale.

3. What is the significance of the matching coefficient in EFT?

The matching coefficient is an important parameter in EFT as it allows us to connect the low-energy effective theory to a more fundamental theory at high energies. It also helps us to make predictions for new physics beyond the energy scale of the current experiments.

4. Can the matching coefficient be experimentally measured?

Yes, the matching coefficient can be experimentally measured by comparing the predictions of the low-energy effective theory with experimental data. This allows us to test the validity of the EFT framework and to determine the value of the matching coefficient.

5. How does the matching coefficient affect the precision of EFT predictions?

The value of the matching coefficient can significantly affect the precision of EFT predictions. A small error in the determination of the matching coefficient can lead to large uncertainties in the predictions. Therefore, it is important to accurately determine the matching coefficient in order to make precise predictions using EFT.